• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Pig Tails???

JandJbuidasmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anybody ever heard of smoking Pig Tails??? I plan on trying to buy some locally. I was thinking I'd smoke them like smoking a chicken wing, 2-3 hours, then deep fry at toss in sauce. What's your thoughts or recommendations? Story's would be appreciated!

No real story. The only thing I have done with pig's tails is smoke them and use for seasoning beans or greens. Along with the pig's ears too.

We grew up with pigtails. They are generally slow roasted with a brown sugar and molasses sauce. One of the local hotels uses a maple syrup sauce. Off the smoker with a good sauce sounds like a great idea. No reason to drop them in a deep fryer.

The moment I saw your post, I immediately thought of a Mind of a Chef segment by Sean Brock that covers just what you're talking about.

Apparently, they smoke the pig tails over hickory for about 12 hours before cutting one up and putting in the fryer to crisp up... some barbecue sauce, peanuts, and chilies for garnish... and this is one mean looking plate of porky goodness.

Here's the link to YouTube: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZELjCBGWy0"]Sean Brock's Pig Tails[/ame].

I'd be really interested if you give something like this a try!

Back