Is This Weber Salvageable?

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
A buddy of mine rescued an old Weber Kettle and has offered to give it to me. I am not sure of the exact year because I haven't seen it in person yet and I don't know what is stamped on the lid vent. Based on the pictures it looks like the bottom of the kettle is pretty bad off.

What say the Brethren? Can this kettle be restored?

Thanks,

Matt

Nothing wrong from here, it'll cook fine with a little welding to fix the leg bracket

looks like someone already took the factory dampers out and replaced them with daisy wheels but I think it will work.

Might be late 70's, just pre-letter code.........

New grates still fit the same,. if needed, and the leg sockets can be repaired without tremendous work, some, but not all that bad if you can do some drilling....

The good thing about repairing the daisy wheel ones is you can mount washers inside to accept the bolts thru the leg sockets & the One Touch sweeps aren't there to get in the way............

_57A.jpg

Hi-heat JB Weld can work OK too....

Other than that, it seems pretty OK, give it a shot 'cause after fixin', these things work as good or better than a new one.........:wink:

Lid and upper bowl look to be in pretty good shape.

If the leg sockets are indeed rusted out, Buckie has the right way to fix. Drill the tabs, use stainless washers, bolts and nuts to hold everything together.

A little elbow grease, metal polish, razor blades and 0000 steel wool it will be a real looker and a cooker.

It looks like a red version of my backup kettle. You can use the search bar below to look for how to paint it, or just hit the rust with a wire brush and spray the bare spots with Pam.
With L-brackets or conduit clamps, just about any wheeled shelving with an open top can be made into a cart. Here is a rack from the Gap. Old shelving sanded and sealed for the tops.
HPIM1622_zpse5f969b9.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. I have been told that it has a patent number but no letter stamp. I am going to pick it up on Saturday. I will post some additional pictures then as well as document the rehab.

Back