First Cook Old Country Brazos

CravinQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Fired it up with a half chimney plus 3 splits
IMG_1590_zpsb3868acf.jpg

Yardbird quarters are on and temps are right
IMG_1594_zps625022b0.jpg

Seems to be purring along just fine by adding a split per hour. Leg quarters and beer can chicken are almost done
IMG_1611_zpse2ca2a67.jpg

I tried a few different sausages while the fire was going
IMG_1612_zps16ea1603.jpg

Time out
IMG_1596_zps233f5088.jpg

All in all, the chicken was very moist and flavorful.
IMG_1617_zps6e28c3c5.jpg

IMG_1614_zps00415c92.jpg

I slow smoked it at 225-240 even though I didn't have to. I wanted to start building some "gunk" in the smoker to season it. I used oak and hickory splits and depending on the size, would last an hour to an hour and 20 minutes. But my splits are 10" long and probably not considered "full sized". I'll write more of a review of this smoker later.

Congrats on the new cooker. Looks like it did a great job on the chicken. I like the smaller splits. They don't take too long to ignite and turn into coals a little quicker.

Congrats ! I like that pit ! Just couldn't dig the 1000 bucks up! I love my pecos so I'm sure you'll love that beast. awesome ! :biggrin1:

You seem to have it dialed in that chicken looks like Winner Winner Chicken Dinner:thumb:

Great lookin' chicken. Congratulations on the new cooker too!

Congrats on the new cooker. Looks like it did a great job on the chicken. I like the smaller splits. They don't take too long to ignite and turn into coals a little quicker.

Hey PJ, what size splits do you use? Mine are 10" by about an inch and a half.

Any photos of the maiden voyage Fatty's????

Dang nice looking chicken. I Like the way that cooker looks.

Nice Job, I've seen them off sets up close, they are really nice smokers.

Very nice all around! Lots of good food and good times to happen around that cooker!

Hey PJ, what size splits do you use? Mine are 10" by about an inch and a half.

6"-8" long and about 3"-4" around. They go whole in the offset and I split them to use as chunks in my charcoal cookers. Keeps me from having to buy 2 different sizes of wood.

The food looks great!!!
Did you coat the exterior of the smoker with oil? If so what kind?
My Brazos in on order - should be here in a week.
I think I got the last one...

Aren't they purdy when they're new?!? Congrats on the cooker and good lookin' grub!:thumb:

The food looks great!!!
Did you coat the exterior of the smoker with oil? If so what kind?
My Brazos in on order - should be here in a week.
I think I got the last one...

Peanut Oil.

Back