• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

World Food Championships

Myron was a hoot at the final table standing up BBQ. Threatened Robin Leach if he wouldnt vote for BBQ.

Buchers recieved 4th or 5th at the final table.

Last edited:
Very nice to have met you and your team Doug. Hope you did well.

Benny

And you as well Benny it was a pleasure talking to you, we're gonna send you a couple tickets to this years Iowa Bacon"fest". :)

Our food turned out average which places you need the bottom in a contest.

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
Agree with Doug, very nice to meet you Benny! You and your wife are very nice people. Hope to see you down the road.

We had a lot of fun, but it's good to be back home. Congrats to Butcher BBQ for making the Final Table. Too bad some of the judges at the final table didn't know what a burnt end was!

Last edited:
That was a lot of fun, but doubt we'll go back. They charged the teams for the events that they were invited to. They rushed all but the top 10 teams away after quickly reading off the results. They didn't even have the results for the teams that competed, so nobody knew where they placed (except the top 10) until they looked up the results after they made them available on-line. We paid $50.00 per ticket for the final dinner, and they were giving them away when you bought a couple of t-shirts?!? So the people that paid ahead of time got screwed. We drove thousands of miles, paid through the nose for an invitational and then told to hurry up and get out as they rapidly read the results. Many people (including myself)had many questions for the organizers, they were trying to contact for months before the event and we got no replies. Poorly organized, poorly managed, and really left many bbq competitors going WTF?

Congrats to the guys that DID win it, I don't want to take anything away from them, I heard the judges only gave 8's and 9's, NO 7's or lower... so it was a VERY close competition with LOTS of great bbq, and the best of the best got it.

That was a lot of fun, but doubt we'll go back. They charged the teams for the events that they were invited to. They rushed all but the top 10 teams away after quickly reading off the results. They didn't even have the results for the teams that competed, so nobody knew where they placed (except the top 10) until they looked up the results after they made them available on-line. We paid $50.00 per ticket for the final dinner, and they were giving them away when you bought a couple of t-shirts?!? So the people that paid ahead of time got screwed. We drove thousands of miles, paid through the nose for an invitational and then told to hurry up and get out as they rapidly read the results. Many people (including myself)had many questions for the organizers, they were trying to contact for months before the event and we got no replies. Poorly organized, poorly managed, and really left many bbq competitors going WTF?

Congrats to the guys that DID win it, I don't want to take anything away from them, I heard the judges only gave 8's and 9's, NO 7's or lower... so it was a VERY close competition with LOTS of great bbq, and the best of the best got it.

We had complaints too (I do hope they do something about the advanced ticket sales) but every time; we came to the conclusion that it was better than sitting in Iowa for the weekend. I am happy that someone is at least trying to make this a bigger sport and get more sponsors involved. Lets hope they do something with the comments and complaints and try again next year.

Couldnt have been said better and I feel the same way..except we only drove 4 hours and the fact when it was all over we were still in Vegas

Whew! Glad that's overwith...what a mess! Congrats to all that got a call and to David for his BBQ/GC and 4th overall Final Table finish! A sandwich over BBQ...you got robbed brother! Lol! It was great to see old friends and make a few new ones. Most of all it was a great roadtrip with my cooking partner, life partner, and best friend...my wife! :thumb:

7 BBQ teams had 2 or 3 duplicate scores not with other teams but on their individual score sheets (ours being one of them) we have contacted kcbs about this and they are looking into it.

7 BBQ teams had 2 or 3 duplicate scores not with other teams but on their individual score sheets (ours being one of them) we have contacted kcbs about this and they are looking into it.

Doug...we finally had a chance to look at our scores and see that we were tied with 3 other teams in pork, 6 other teams in brisket, and 3 other teams in sauce. I guess we got a computer coin flip as to where we placed overall. Not that it would have mattered much...lol!

In the interest of trying to improve similar events in the future, can you elaborate, BPS?

IMO, no particular order except number 1
1. Do all the cooking/judging on one day not two, at a bare minimum judge all of the big meats on same day.
2. Charging teams for seeing the final table and what-not......
3. Porta-pots....the longest walk to turn-ins at the AR was shorter than the walk from the north end of the lot.
4. Entry fees...from what I understand the bbq cooks were the only ones charged.

Again this is just my opinion and they didn't do a terrible job for such a undertaking....I have been at smaller contests that were less organized

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
IMO, no particular order except number 1
1. Do all the cooking/judging on one day not two, at a bare minimum judge all of the big meats on same day.
2. Charging teams for seeing the final table and what-not......
3. Porta-pots....the longest walk to turn-ins at the AR was shorter than the walk from the north end of the lot.
4. Entry fees...from what I understand the bbq cooks were the only ones charged.

Again this is just my opinion and they didn't do a terrible job for such a undertaking....I have been at smaller contests that were less organized
Actually giving us a score sheet in a timely manner would have been nice.

HAd a great time despite first year contest issues. Got a ton of photos and video, enjoyed the scenery and had a glad cooking with the triple treat Smoke In Da Eye, Purple Pork Masters and Mr. Bobo team.

In the interest of trying to improve similar events in the future, can you elaborate, BPS?
its pretty much been said. I applaud them for putting it on...thats tough....

This is not backseat driving but A couple of ideas came to mind....have 84 teams....have a cut after the first day of a full kcbs cook....then thirty 36 teams cooking a secondday to see who gets the table...

A nice touch would have been to have announced where you stood after first day...little drama added

The parking lot and bathrooms were pretty funky....the payout a little better for such a big contest...1 in 82 chance of moving forward.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
Well the Black Pig BBQ made it to the final table and we placed 6th overall, devastated by a rule change the last three hours...:mad2:

For a massive event in its first year it went well but there are loads of issues to improve on. Make no doubts this was a competition the first three days and a television production the last.

Well the Black Pig BBQ made it to the final table and we placed 6th overall, devastated by a rule change the last three hours...:mad2:

For a massive event in its first year it went well but there are loads of issues to improve on. Make no doubts this was a competition the first three days and a television production the last.

You should definitely let them know your concerns. They can't improve unless they know their weak points.

Last edited:
Back