28lb Brisket at RD!! Can't Not Buy It Right?! (pics of the monster inside)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
So went to Restaurant Depot this morning to get some boneless butts for sausage making and a few other items. As my wife went in one direction to grab stuff I headed back to the butts. So the open meat case is on my right and boxed cases of meat is on the left. I see out of the corner of my eye an open box meat box on the bottom shelf (which happens as people dig through cases to find a particular size if the meat case doesn't have what they want). At first I didn't think too much about the huge hunk of meat because my first thought was that it was a beef clod which at my RD they around in the 20-22lb range.

So took a another step and said let me take a closer look. I knelt down and saw it was a halal box and that it was in fact a brisket case. It was freaking huge, but no sticker on it. At this point I guessed 22-25lbs and didn't have intention of buying it. I do say it frequently that brisket isn't my favorite so I don't buy it a lot, but I do really enjoy cooking it. So when I found a meat guy to weight it even he thought it was huge. He thunked it down on the scale and a dead freaking even 28lbs :shock::becky::clap2:!!

He asked if I wanted to buy it and I said you bet your sweet ass, please print the label :-D. Though I didn't say the sweet ass part (just thought it).

So I have zero idea when I'm going to cook it, but even for a guy like me where there are other things that taste better I can't pass up this massive unicorn as I'll probably never see one even close to this big again. The biggest one I've ever cooked was 22lbs and this thing is no joke when you pick it up. I'm sure there have been plenty of larger briskets people have found, but this is as big as I've ever seen or even heard of.

Here are some pics.........

Here it is sitting next to the 20lbs of pork I got

28lbs dead even

Brisket prices are getting better here

Cradling the large baby. Was thinking of putting it in a stroller and taking it for a walk. Though I'm like half a man so I throw the "to scale" thing off a bit :becky:

I should have got my wife to hold it for a picture for even larger looking scale. Though I think I might not even cook it, but take it around with me and find things to take pictures of it next too

Some measuring pics

The thing is really thick and even. It tapers a little towards the end of the flat, but for a brisket this big tapering means still 2.5 inches at the far end. So going to let it wet age for a while. Might have an open weekend in a few weeks and will cook it up on my Shirley.

Well off to make sausage. Made some chicken yesterday and got pork going today. My SF is rolling now with beef ribs and will throw the sausage on later.

That thing is no joke! I've seen a corned beef brisket at RD about that size, not sure why but the corned beef briskets are always huge.

I wouldnt cook it for a while ...You DO need to just have it with you for a while to show off and take pics of it ...By big Buildings and Buses and Tractor Trailers... Nice Find.:clap2:

Here's me teaching it about the bbq brethren!

I told it that one day I was going to cook it to temp as a guide (202) and then start check for probe tenderness.

Wow... That is awesome! That is the single largest brisket I have ever heard of.

You going to cook it now or maybe wet age it?

Last edited:
Does it being Halal change anything? I have cooked some Kosher meat around the holidays for my wife and it just isn't the same. The preparation seems to take some flavor out

My phone takes awful inside pictures, but here is a small child I found that our friends own and brought over and they thought would be good to get a comparison picture.

Don't get those two confused when it's time to smoke that thing.
Must be an HTC One phone based on those purple and yellow hues in the pics.:mad:

Back