Roasted chicken questions

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Not sure how to ask the question so i will explain what i am wanting to do.

My sister and i purchased the cook to be thin book. They have an awesome recipe for roasted chicken. It needs to bake at 475F. I want to do this on my kettle because it is outside and will not heat up our house.

Indirectly i have reached 350-400F. Im not sure how to prepare and cook the chicken. Im guessing it needs to be cooked over the coals since that is the only way to reach the temps i need. Instead of using a beer can roaster i am supposed to, according to the book, use a roasting pan of some sort.

If i am using the roasting pan, i assume i place it right above coals to achieve the higher temps. OR if i wanted to i could use beer can holder and place close to coals to achieve the desired effects.

Like i said. Im not really sure what im asking. Maybe its do i really need the roasting pan. Why cant i use the beer can roaster, or maybe its why am i cooking at 475 rather than 375.... or maybe its what is the best way to roast a chicken in a kettle?

Any way thanx in advance for the advice and opinions..

I have roasted chickens in a kettle all of the ways above. For a higher heat, you could also use a roasting pan with the chicken on a cage. Then put it over the bed of coals. That will emulate the heat of an oven, it will also discolor the pan a bit. No biggie.

Not sure what your recipe says, but I know from experience that 375 oven is plenty hot enough to cook a chicken with a nice crisp skin. I'd even go further and say that 475 sounds way too hot. Sometimes you can have the oven that hot for the first few minutes to seal whatever it is you are cooking (like lamb), but surely they ask you to turn it down to 400 or even 375 after that?

I'll leave the can question to the better qualified, but as a food guy I'd say 375-400 in any cooking device sound like prime Chicken temp.

Dave

not sure about the recipe but I did a brined chicken, spatchcocked (butterflied MOL) with some Q rub - Yardbird - and I think it was pretty close to roast chicken. Came out great on a gasser - should do better in a kettle.

I have done quite a few chickens at that high a heat, usually brined. The trick is to get it in there without losing a lot of heat. The higher heat acts similarly to searing. I it very similar to what happens in a wood burning beehive oven.

If the goal is to lose weight, then brining might not be the best way to go - only because of some extra salt that will get added to the chicken. The high heat is to (theoretically) quickly render fat and thus melt it off. Several recipes suggest this and you can do it at the temperature they suggest or truss the chicken and use tongs to turn it over hot coals or flame. Searing it on the grates at 500F or such will do the trick. My favorite chef, Pierre Franey has a recipe for this that requires a 500F degree oven, turning the bird with tongs every 10 minutes or so until all sides are seared and brown - then finishing at 350F until it achieves internal temp.

Here's a recipe I did using this type of techique on the grill with a whole chicken stuffed with peaches. The skin gets kinda 'burnt' cause of all the sugar in the peaches...but brothah is tasty!

RestingChiknWEB.JPG

CB’S EZ QUICK-ROASTED WHOLE CHICKEN WITH PEACH STUFFING

You can eliminate the peaches if you like!

And I would also think the beer can holder with a liquid of water and herbs would be within the range of your diet.

good luck on this!

Yup cook it at 475 for 1.5 hours. Must be to get rid of fat. It looks good. Think i will give it a whirl and see what happens. I have never really needed to cook something at that high of heat before.

Thanx for the input. Any of you use italina dressing as a "wet rub"??

I have, I use either Wishbone or Paul Newman, and sometimes I add some more herbs. It works great.

You can keep your drunken chicken stands for the time being. I much prefer the crispy skin I get otherwise. On the UDS push the fire basket to the side, light it up and open all air supply orifices as much as possible. After an hour, tighten up your draw, or leave open to perpetuate temps. Add herbred chickens to the grate.

Add Dancing chickens with minimal liquid or no can. I like it WAY better without, but hey, to each his own.

I've hit over 400* using briquettes. I would find a good lump, (like Wicked Good) and I bet you could hit 475*.

If i could get my uds up to 375 i would it, but any wind and it is KTFO.. With no wind i cant seem to achieve desired temps

Back