UDS Charcoal or Lump question

Jeffm827i

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was curious to know how many pounds of charcoal or lump you are putting in your basket on a Brisket cook? Say 13-15lb brisket running at 250 - 275 temp.
:becky:

My basket never gets empty I start with it full every cook At 250 my 17X8 basket will go for 30 hrs with well packed lump.

about 6 lbs of charcoal per 10+ hours. Like bluedawg said, The basket is never truly empty. before every brisket cook, I usually add about a 3rd or half a bag of 15lb charcoal.

My UDS basket holds about 13lbs of KBB (for reference) and I fill it full before every cook.

You always want to make sure you have enough, I make sure my basket is full before each cook. Even with my longest UDS Cook of about 16 hrs, I only used about half of my fuel, which was Kamado Lump.

I prefer Briquettes while some prefer Lump. 10-12 lbs of KBB and 15-20 chunks will run mine 300* for 10 hrs.....

Fill it. I fill my basket for almost everything. When done I choke it out in an hour and I got leftover for the next cook. I have had good luck doing entire grills and small smokes on nothing but leftover lump. I keep it in a 5 gallon bucket ready to mix with fresh if I need it. I should mention my grandmother used to wash ziploc bags in the washing machine and reuse them. She grew up during the depression. Her blood flows through me on recylcing..........:p

I have always used Kingsford Blue briquettes in my drums. Cheaper than lump and work great. I fill my fire basket and leave a little hole in the middle for a half chimney of lit coals. I have cooked an 18lb brisket on that at 250 and had lots left over.

My basket will hold more than a 15 lb bag of KBB, and I once ran it @ 250 for over 32 hours just to see how long it would run at those temps. After 32 hours, I got tired of checking it and shut it down. I still had some left in the basket.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

My basket will hold more than a 15 lb bag of KBB, and I once ran it @ 250 for over 32 hours just to see how long it would run at those temps. After 32 hours, I got tired of checking it and shut it down. I still had some left in the basket.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

I have never timed mine out to see but it is amazing just how little it uses for how long it cooks. I am not sure how much my basket holds but its quite a bit.

Mine holds about 20lbs but I usually only drop in about 10 lbs because I have a bunch of leftover from the previous cook. I'll take out the old stuff and use that in my chiminey to get the fresh batch going so in reality I probably have 15lbs. I wish I could say how long it lasts but I haven't run out yet so I guess it's like getting to the center of a tootsie pop. (That's probably lost on the younger folk.) :wink:

Attachments

• basket.jpg
    basket.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 56
Back