Crash Cooling Brisket (Thanks landarc)

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I had a 12# Choice packer to do for an Easter Family gathering. The start time was 1:30 PM. No way I could or would get up at 1:00 AM to start this rig because I had Easter morning obligations. Got on this site and asked advice (I'll try to link thread).

Brother landarc suggested Crash Cooling the brisket after smoking it Saturday. He suggested it wrapped tight and put in an ice bath for quick cooling after coming off smoker the night before and rapidly cool it down to 40*F. I did not have the option for an ice bath due to other cookin' going on so once it came off the smoker, I wrapped it in foil and put it in the fridge. We run our fridge at 38*F. Left it overnight.

Easter morning about 8:30 AM, I took the brisket out of the foil and put it on a cookie sheet. Boy was this rock of congealed grease ugly! Set the oven at 250*F, stuck it in and went about my business. Returned @ 11:30AM to find the brisket was up to 130*F. landarc had suggested 165*F. IT. Brisket was coming up to temp slow and steady. Grease and fat re-rendering. About 12:30 PM it was close. Pulled from oven and let it rest. Sliced it at 1 AM. Best one yet. Wish I had pic's of this. That brisket got slayed by men, women and children. A great success.

All I have pic's of are the Saturday prep on the WSM.

The Victim using celery salt (Thanks Q-Dat for the suggestion. It really improved the smoke rig due to the nitrates) and Oakridge BBQ Black Op's Brisket Rub.

atvv9y.jpg

Rubbed and ready:

2h893s6.jpg

Here's a good tip for getting a big chunk of meat on an 18.5 WSM. A SS bowl. I've done brisket packers as big as 16# with this method. Notice the use of the top rack handles to hold the beast in.

i3ggt0.jpg

Wish I had more pic's of the end but Easter day left no time. If your ever in a tight for doing brisket, check out this method.

Thanks for lookin'. I love this site. :thumb:

On edit, here's the original thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186637

Congrats Toast. Welcome to the world of reheated brisket that tastes just like it came right off the smoker :-D

This will probably change some of your cooking patterns/schedules in the future :heh::heh:

Glad that worked for you, the ice bath is faster, but, not everyone has the time, space and ice. Sounds like you nailed it, great cooking

Learn something new everyday here, and that's a great tip.
Glad it all worked out for you Toast.

I have one word of warning for putting a hot brisket directly into the fridge. I had a friend do that with 2 leftover boston butts. They were not directly off of the smoker but had only been off for like 1.5 hours so still pretty hot. The heat from the butts outpaced the cooling from the fridge and all of the food spoiled in the fridge. Well, at least thats what we think happened because people who ate from this fridge got sick.

I have one word of warning for putting a hot brisket directly into the fridge. I had a friend do that with 2 leftover boston butts. They were not directly off of the smoker but had only been off for like 1.5 hours so still pretty hot. The heat from the butts outpaced the cooling from the fridge and all of the food spoiled in the fridge. Well, at least thats what we think happened because people who ate from this fridge got sick.

Thats exactly what happened. Placing hot foods in refrigerators is a big no no. I learned something new with the ice bath though, I will definetly try that when I am in a jam someday.

Yup to the fridge thingy, hence the ice bath

We have a large fridge that runs at 38*. An ice bath is about 33* so it does not take much longer to cool it. If temp rises more than 2* off setpoint in fridge, it alarms. I was keeping a eye on that.

Sounds like you hit a home run. I didn't know Landarc gave cooking tips. I need to spend more time in QTalk! :)

Congratulations on the successful cook and thanks for the tip with the SS bowl.

Mike, how come this ain't in the Easter Feast TD yet? Doin' the leftovers for that? :becky:

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Took my shoes off...

Back