• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Advice request, turky on the Big Easy....

Whitewookie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well, I've done a couple of chickens and some wings since buying the BE. I figure I need to do a test turkey before Thanksgiving day and a big crowd.

I got a 12lb. bird in the brine right now, plan on injecting before going in the cooker tomorrow. Will Probably inject and let come up in temp for about an hour before cooking.

Plan on cooking until I get an internal temp at the breast of about 150 uncovered, then putting on the mesh lid to brown while it comes on up to about 165. Of course I'll do some spot checks with the instant read in case I need to let her run a little longer.

Any advice on cook times, things to watch out for, pitfalls, etc?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

VR,
Harold

I've only used mine a few times but sounds like you are on the right track. I've never brined but if you want the skin crispy like a fried turkey dry it off and coat it with peanut oil. You can season on top of that just don't use anything with sugar in it. Try to get the bird centered as much as possible, it will want to lean to one side causing it to cook slightly faster on that side. Also just watch for browning on the top. You may not need the mesh lid unless it doesn't brown. Usually in warmer weather it's not needed but if so it'll probably only for a short period of time (similar to what you planned). In my opinion you don't have to wait an hour to let the cooker get up to temp 5-10 min and it's ready!
Post some pics! It's gonna be awesome!

Thanks. I was wondering about it leaning and trying to figure a way to support it. Maybe with a couple of kabob skewers?

BTW, I didn't mean I was going to let the cooker come up to temp. I meant after I take the turkey out of the ice cold brine, I'm going to inject and let it set and come up in temp for about an hour to reduce cooking time. I usually just light the cooker right before I start cooking.

VR,
Harold

Last edited:
Thanks. I was wondering about it leaning and trying to figure a way to support it. Maybe with a couple of kabob skewers?

BTW, I didn't mean I was going to let the cooker come up to temp. I meant after I take the turkey out of the ice cold brine, I'm going to inject and let it set and come up in temp for about an hour to reduce cooking time. I usually just light the cooker right before I start cooking.

VR,
Harold
Harold

Yeah skewers would probably work. I've also heard some people use the poultry rack thing that goes through the middle of the turkey when you use an oil fryer if it'll fit. Should keep it centered better. Skewers may be better 1 or 2 max would do the trick I bet.

I figured you meant bring the bird up to temp just wasn't sure.

Spraying the rack helps on removal, especially if it does lean at all.
I use a ring at bottom to lift it a bit and throw some pellets between the wall and ring for some smoke.

I normally put the lid on at the beginning of the cook and pull it once it's brown to my liking. A 12 lb bird should be done in two to 2 & 1/2 hours. I would let the deep breast temp go up to 170*F to insure the thighs are done. With brining and injection the breast should still be juicy. I inject only and it turns out great.

2zspdnm.jpg

I normally put the lid on at the beginning of the cook and pull it once it's brown to my liking. A 12 lb bird should be done in two to 2 & 1/2 hours. I would let the deep breast temp go up to 170*F to insure the thighs are done. With brining and injection the breast should still be juicy. I inject only and it turns out great.

2zspdnm.jpg

This is exactly what I'm looking for, It looks great... Did you coat with oil and spice before cooking?

What Toast said works for me. Although, last year we brined and it worked out well too

Outstanding, that is the same marinade I have, but mine didn't come with the spice. I'll probably just use my own poultry rub. It has plenty of pepper and no sugar.

From the pictures it doesn't look like Toast coated with oil. His looks great!
I've always coated mine. Only takes about 1-2 tablespoons so not much oil at all. I felt like it would turn out more like a rotisserie bird if I didn't. But I may have to try without and see.

From the pictures it doesn't look like Toast coated with oil. His looks great!
I've always coated mine. Only takes about 1-2 tablespoons so not much oil at all. I felt like it would turn out more like a rotisserie bird if I didn't. But I may have to try without and see.

I put oil on chickens but not turkeys. Skin tuns out well due to the infrared cooking process unless the lid is left on way too long...(hungover that morning). :tsk:

Yes, Pam or similar. Forgot once and had a lot of sticking when it leaned too far.

Last time i pulled a whole chicken, I checked temp while cooking, from the top. 10 minutes later, I wondered what the temp was at the bottom. Check the bottom when you think you are done. Consider flipping or just more time if it isn't done.

Here are thre pics

Well, the turkey turned out great. Very juicy, even the white meat. Nice crispy skin. Great flavor.

Only got a couple of pics before company showed up and I go busy drinking beer and talking to friends.

Here they are.

VR,
Harold

In the brine...

In the cooker...

Done...

Looks like you nailed it!

I have a question? I need to do a turkey a couple days early. What's the best way to save it and reheat to maintain the moisture and crispy skin?

Edit: I hope I didn't just hijack this thread! Is it still somewhat topic? If not I will move it.

Back