favorite cookbooks or recipe resources.

BBQdisciple

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Question for everyone. What is your "go to" cookbook or recipe source?

What would you consider your BBQ bible?

"Smoke and Spice" by the Jamisons is what kicked me off into the art of bbq, but I am now looking for some more resources.

I am incredibly grateful for the information shared through this forum. But in the event of a catastrophic disaster that renders the internet inoperable, I will need a hard copy of something to let me continue to advance my bbq abilities.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Myron Mixons books, Smoke and Spice, even Webers grill books, but most of all here. Lots of info here that leads you to other sites but the info originates here. Can't beat the experience and helpful nature of all the brothers here that's for sure-wah

Aside from this site, I refer to the Big Bob Gibson book by Chris Lily regularly - lots of great stuff in there - it's my go-to, but watch the salt sometimes. APL's "Serious BBQ" is good for when you feel like getting a little more elaborate. Legends of Texas is cool too.

I'm like gtr. I look in Adam Perry Lang's "Serious BBQ" and "Big Bob Gibson" by Chris Lily the most.

I do have Wicked Barbecue on the shelf, but haven't had time to look through it.

I noticed that you were from Va Beach also. If you want to borrow Serious BBQ or Big Bob Gibson shoot me a PM and we can work out a time to get together and I can loan them to you for a little while.

Big Bob Gibson is my #1-I have never made anything that wasn't good from it.
Smokin #2

Didn't much care for the sequels to either.

Have made some good stuff from Wicked BBQ and BBQ Bible. I do enjoy watching Steven Raichlen's show on PBS.

Enjoyed the read on Peace, Love, & BBQ (and I have been trying all the BBQ restaurants listed in the back as I travel). The potato salad is very good. To be fair, the meat recipes look good, but I haven't tried any.

I have read the Texas Legends and Holy Smoke and enjoyed the read, but not so much recipes.

Didn't care for Low-N-Slow or Smoke-N-Spice.

I have come to a point where I could never make stuff from all of them. I would rather try to perfect a few out of 1 or 2 than try to find more and more books. There is such a nice variety of recipes in Myron's book and Chris's book that I will keep working those.

Here, Google, which, for BBQ, usually leads me back to here.
Other than that, Joy of cooking's recipes translate to the enclosed grill quite well. I also have my mothers copy of The Boston Cooking School Cook Book.

I, like a lot of you all, have most of the books posted above. Now my go to recipe resource, is my app called Pepperplate. It is easy to use and you can create your own personal categories for recipes. Some of mine are completion chicken, competition ribs, etc. It has joined with other websites like Food Network, Serious Eats, Cooking Channel, and over 30 others so that recipes can be downloaded with only 3 clicks of a mouse. Recipes from other sources can be transferred easily too. I get many from folks on this forum. The best thing is that it is FREE. I've got over 1700 recipes in mine that are with me all the time on my phone! Check it out. I don't work, or in any other way get compensated by Pepperplate. I just really like it.

Big Bob Gibson is a really good book. One of my favorites is Peace, Love, and BBQ by Mike and Amy Mills. Very nice people and an awesome read! They sign all of our copies at The Jack every year.

Here's an example of one I did today in Pepperplate:

BBQ Brethren
Marubozo's Dill Pickles

Yield

2 Quarts
Categories

pickles, cucumbers

Ingredients

• • 4-6 medium cucumbers, or 8-10 small pickling cucumbers
    • • 4 cups water
    • • 2 cups white vinegar
    • • 8-12 cloves of garlic
    • • 6 tablespoons of pickling/canning salt or non-iodized kosher salt(may need to cut in half)
    • • A few sprigs of fresh dill, or substitute with 2 tablespoons of dill seed
    • • 1 teaspoon coriander seed
    • • 1 teaspoon celery seed
    • • 1 teaspoon mustard seed
    • • 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
    • • 2 Hungarian hot wax peppers(possibly substitute red pepper flakes)

Instructions

1. Start by bringing the water to a simmer in a saucepan. While the water is heating, peel the garlic. For a subtle garlic flavor, use 8 cloves (4 in each jar). Use more for a stronger garlic flavor. Leave the cloves whole. Once the water is up to a simmer you can add the garlic and cook for about five minutes. While the garlic is cooking, prepare your cucumbers by slicing into quarters lengthwise for spears, or cut thin chips. After the garlic has cooked for five minutes, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil until the salt is dissolved and then remove from the heat.
    2. In two one-quart canning jars (wide-mouth jars work best for this) add the fresh sprigs of dill and remove the garlic from the pan and distribute equally in both jars. Then divide the remaining spices between the two jars. If you want a touch of heat, add one Hungarian hot pepper, halved lengthwise, to each jar. Next, take the cucumbers and pack them tightly into each jar. Bring the brine back up to a boil and pour immediately into both jars, filling very close to the very top so that the cucumbers are completely covered.
    3. Let cool to room temp and then refrigerate overnight. They are really good after sitting overnight, but amazing after another day or two.

Notes

I will say that these are GREAT!. We lowered the salt a little bit after the first batch, but other than that, we love them. I have made both spears and slices from it. People I have offered them to love them too. I use a Habanero Pepper and it makes them good and spicy. Terry - Learning more about Q every day... Try pickling Brussels Sprouts! Cut in half, pickle as above. Shockingly good, if you are not cabbage averse. Smokeat

As you can see, I was able to add comments that might help me. These were comments made by folks on this forum.

Not trying to steal the thread. I just find this a great way to get and organize my recipes. Thanks, Tom

As far as books, I have about a dozen. I looked through them and thought about making some of the items, but my "To Do" list from the Brethren just keep getting longer. The list from the Q-Talk forum has provided great results on everything

Thanks Ribsrdone, I created an account. I like the fact you can retrieve them from anywhere.

Last count I had about 400 cook books. I used to collect them however any more I find the internet (this site included) is a far better resource with so many different recipes for the same food. Since shifting to the internet for a recipe/idea source I think I have collected over 4,000 recipes/ideas. I rarely open the books any more.

I very rarely choose to own a cookbook. If you want to find some serious recipes look for blogs by cowgirl or patiodaddio for starters. Two amazing cooks. A mile wide and a thousand feet deep. Most respect from ..
seattlepitboss

my top 3 are Big Bob Gibson, Peace Love and BBQ, and the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook. that said i've still gotten some great recipes out of other books, lately i've been diggin the rub recipe from Smokin in the Boys Room, and my favorite hush puppies recipe came from Brother Jimmy's BBQ cookbook

Most of my cookbooks aren't BBQ related but one that I use most is an old " The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors" by Jeff Smith.

I have read most of the books listed in this thread and will add one that I really like, John Willingham's World Champion Bar-B-Q. It leans toward Memphis and Carolina and very much on the L&S temp scale but well worth adding to the library.

what is a cookbook?
images

Back