Minion Method and lump charcoal

olflathead

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Guys I normal use briquettes when doing long, low and slow cooks.But I'm wanting to cook a few turkeys at a higher temp without burning up my fuel to soon. Thus switching to lump. My question is does lump work as good using the minion method as briquettes.

Simple answer is yes, you may have to break up large pieces to accommodate the maze.

I think the key is the type of smoker you have. I have an insulated vertical, with briquettes I can barely reach 250 and a full load is about 5 - 6 hours. With lump I can burn hotter if I need to and a load last 12 - 14 hours.

Also note that by wanting higher temperatures you will consume more fuel. So be prepared, you may have to add some more lump charcoal to the cooker as well.

I use lump all the time with the minion method. Never had a problem here. Does tend to burn hotter, thus burn time may be shorter. However, I always load up my basket. This way i don't need to worry about adding more fuel. Most of my cooks are in the 10-13 hour range and i never have to add fuel. Some times i do have to shake the basket to help with air flow, but amount of fuel is not a problem.

So u guy fill basket and add hot coals randomly or u guys put In middle? I usually spread hot coals over basket randomly

So u guy fill basket and add hot coals randomly or u guys put In middle? I usually spread hot coals over basket randomly
In my WSMs, I fill the ring but leave it low in the middle. Dump the lit in the low spot.
Not sure what you're cooking on.

I put the lite stuff at the side of the basket and let it burn across it.

Back