BBQ meets Pot Roast - PRON!

Mister Bob

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Two of my favorites, BBQ and Pot Roast met this weekend in great fusion recipe. I tried something like this a couple of weeks ago with beef short ribs, and I was so happy with the results I decided to try it with a full sized roast. I started with a 7 1/2lb chuck.

ChuckRoast86001.jpg

Pegged it with some garlic cloves,

ChuckRoast86002.jpg

marinated overnight,

ChuckRoast86006.jpg

and rubbed in the morning. I couldn't decide between two of my favorite beef rubs, so I used both!

ChuckRoast86009.jpg

Into the BGE in a cast iron pot on a bed of carrots, celery and onions swimming in some vegetable stock.

ChuckRoast86010.jpg

ChuckRoast86012.jpg

I also did some Hasselback potatoes and a really great Malbec gravy. For the entire recipe and lots more pics, go to http://thehogblog.com/?p=1878

ChuckRoast86016.jpg

Here's how it all turned out.

ChuckRoast86024.jpg

ChuckRoast86025.jpg

ChuckRoast86026.jpg

Very nice! I use Bovine Bold on pot roast, too.

Next time try searing the roast all around after rubbing it and then cook it with the veggies. I sear it in a pan and then deglaze the pan with some red wine and add that to the liquid in the pot with the roast and veggies.

Yup, that looks exactly like what I want right about now. Can we see about making that happen please...:heh:

OH and did you use a lid at all? that looks WICKED DAMN GOOD! I guess the pulled pork dinner on thursday has been replaced. haha

thanks

EDIT

i dont have Hoboken Eddie’s Home Grown hot sauce. What else will work?

thanks

Saw those taters done on Americas test kitchen last weekend...cant wait to try....also they determined chuckies (blade roast in canada) are best cut for pot roast. On another thread here someone suggesested asking for the roast cut from "the rib end"....when I did one coupla weeks ago it was FANTASTIC...best ever.

r

Very nice! I use Bovine Bold on pot roast, too.

Next time try searing the roast all around after rubbing it and then cook it with the veggies. I sear it in a pan and then deglaze the pan with some red wine and add that to the liquid in the pot with the roast and veggies.

Thanks Ron, that's actually the way I do pot roast in the oven, deglazing with red wine and all. With that method, I bring the liquid about half way up the roast and close the lid.

This time I was going for a BBQ bark, instead of the Maillard Reaction resulting from the sear. Notice that for this cook, I kept the liquid below the bottom of the roast so I wasn't actually braising.

OH and did you use a lid at all? that looks WICKED DAMN GOOD! I guess the pulled pork dinner on thursday has been replaced. haha

thanks

EDIT

i dont have Hoboken Eddie’s Home Grown hot sauce. What else will work?

thanks

I didn't use the lid because I wanted to absorb some smokey flavor and develop a nice bark. The moist atmosphere in the EGG created by the veggie stock kept the meat plenty moist throughout the process. I did give it a light baste on the two occasions that I opened up for a picture.

Any hot sauce will work, but a good substitute would be Tiger Sauce with a little cayenne to kick it up a bit. That would be close.

Back