Building a UDS Question ?

BBQ Freak

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I bought the Hunsaker vent kit for the bottom of the drum but bought a Lava Lock premium basket that has the ash catcher on the bottom , how much space do you guys think I need between the bottom of the drum to the bottom of the bottom of the basket {bottom of ash pan}? I am thing I need to make 2" legs but need you guys help that have built these before , Thanks .

I modded the bottom vent style intake out of some plate and round bar. It works pretty well but I wish I went your route.

my pizza pan sits 2" above the floor of the drum and the basket another 2.5" above that.

I've never seen a real Hunsaker basket - just wen with what felt right.

My ash pan sets on the bottom of the drum, the bottom of the basket is 3" above the ash pan.

I see you got bored waiting on your Shirley.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The height of the basket legs should also be determined by the size of the basket and how long you want to cook unattended. Using briquettes 3" legs are good for upto about 15+ hours depending on air temps/humidity. 4" legs will get into the 20+ hr range to where the ash can not choke out the coals. Using lump, the 2.5" legs will probably be fine due to less ash. But burn times for me are less/shorter than using briquettes for the same coal basket.

Here's my Hunsaker basket. I would say there is 2.5 to 3 inches from the bottom of the basket to the floor of the drum.

Last edited:
Back