• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Vermouth?

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I want to try a bean recipe that calls for vermouth. I have not cooked with it before. Is there a substitute I could use or should I use the real stuff?

Thank you for any help.

Vermouth is used in martinis and drinks of the sort. I have seen its used in sauces ( My dad is a chef ) but I can't think of a substitution. I have it in my drink cabinet so i would use it. Go for the real stuff and what ever you have left over make some good drinks :thumb:

Thank you Monty and Ray!

Does it call for dry or sweet?

Dave it calls for dry. I didn't even know there was a difference. lol :mrgreen:

Guerry Thanks! I've had one martini in my life. I'm a light weight. :laugh:

Thanks for the info everyone, I'm heading to the store to see what I can find. :thumb:

Vermouth is a fortified wine. Like deguerre said, it is the botanicals it is fortified with that really makes it what it is. But if you can't find any you can use a dry white wine but it won't have the same aromatic effect that vermouth imparts.

Vermouth is a fortified wine. Like deguerre said, it is the botanicals it is fortified with that really makes it what it is. But if you can't find any you can use a dry white wine but it won't have the same aromatic effect that vermouth imparts.

This is a perfect suggestion for dry. If it had been sweet vermouth you could have swapped out a sweeter red wine like sherry, madeira, marsala or maybe even a port.

lol Bob!

Thanks for the info and help everyone. I picked up a bottle of dry and one of sweet. Maybe I'll find a use for both. :thumb:

lol Bob!

Thanks for the info and help everyone. I picked up a bottle of dry and one of sweet. Maybe I'll find a use for both. :thumb:

You can make a manhattan and old fashion with the sweet vermouth!

Both dry and sweet vermouth taste dispicable if you try to taste it by itself. Mixed in cocktails or in cooking and it is very dericious!

You can make a manhattan and old fashion with the sweet vermouth!

Both dry and sweet vermouth taste dispicable if you try to taste it by itself. Mixed in cocktails or in cooking and it is very dericious!

Thank you! Could you give me a recipe for either one... I've not tried them before. :oops: I appreciate your help!

Thank you Monty and Ray!

Dave it calls for dry. I didn't even know there was a difference. lol :mrgreen:

Guerry Thanks! I've had one martini in my life. I'm a light weight. :laugh:

Thanks for the info everyone, I'm heading to the store to see what I can find. :thumb:

If it calls for dry vermouth, I think you could substitute a dry white wine. Vermouth is a wine fortified with herbs, spices and other aromatics. IMO, a dry white wine would work, and if the recipe called for sweet vermouth, you could substitute a sweet red wine. I'm guessing the recipe calls for a small amount of vermouth, since a little goes a long way.

Also, for the lightweight in you, keep in mind, when you cook with alcohol, almost all of the alcohol evaporates, leaving behind the flavors of the beverage.

CD

Martini: put a few drops of dry vermouth into a martini glass, roll around until glass is coated and then shake out. Place 2.5oz gin into cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake gently (don't bruise the booze) strain into vermouth coated glass and add skewer of cocktail olives.

Dry Martini: Pass vermouth bottle over top of martini glass without any vermouth actually leaving bottle. Follow shaking & pouring advice above.

Manhattan: Follow glass coating step from standard martini recipe above using sweet vermouth. Use 2.5 oz of your favorite bourbon. Garnish with a twist of lemon and marashino cherry instead of olives.

On Edit: If you're not much of a drinker you get one and only one of these. They're straight booze and will put you on your lips before you know it.

Thank you! Could you give me a recipe for either one... I've not tried them before. :oops: I appreciate your help!

The secret to using dry vermouth for a Martini, or sweet vermouth for a Manhattan, is to use very small amounts of vermouth. My idea of a good vodka martini is to put vodka and ice in a shaker, and let it sit next to an open bottle of dry vermouth for 30 seconds, then shake it and pour it in a glass. :becky:

My dad loves Manhattans. He has one every day before dinner. A small bottle of sweet vermouth will last him a year. A little goes a long way.

CD

The secret to using dry vermouth for a Martini, or sweet vermouth for a Manhattan, is to use very small amounts of vermouth. My idea of a good vodka martini is to put vodka and ice in a shaker, and let it sit next to an open bottle of dry vermouth for 30 seconds, then shake it and pour it in a glass. :becky:

My dad loves Manhattans. He has one every day before dinner. A small bottle of sweet vermouth will last him a year. A little goes a long way.

CD

I'll be the purist jerk here. There is no such thing as a vodka martini.

I love cooking with Vermouth (dry). Try frying several eggs sunny side up. When they are 60% done add 3T of water and throw in a splash of vermouth. Cover (steam) until done. Really good!

Thanks Dave and CD. I have a feeling I should stick to cooking with it. :laugh:

Martini: put a few drops of dry vermouth into a martini glass, roll around until glass is coated and then shake out. Place 2.5oz gin into cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake gently (don't bruise the booze) strain into vermouth coated glass and add skewer of cocktail olives.

Dry Martini: Pass vermouth bottle over top of martini glass without any vermouth actually leaving bottle. Follow shaking & pouring advice above.

Manhattan: Follow glass coating step from standard martini recipe above using sweet vermouth. Use 2.5 oz of your favorite bourbon. Garnish with a twist of lemon and marashino cherry instead of olives.

On Edit: If you're not much of a drinker you get one and only one of these. They're straight booze and will put you on your lips before you know it.

That sounds interesting Dave, I do have gin on hand and might give it a try. Thanks for the recipes. :thumb:

I love cooking with Vermouth (dry). Try frying several eggs sunny side up. When they are 60% done add 3T of water and throw in a splash of vermouth. Cover (steam) until done. Really good!

Wow Marty that sounds good. Thanks for the recipe! I will give it a try. :thumb:

Back