Trying This Again...

C J

Reaction score
Hi everyone... I registered a few years ago with the intention of building a mini-WSM and getting into the smoking scene. A lot of life changing events happened right after that and the project fell by the wayside.

So yesterday I finished buying everything I needed to complete the smoker. I cut out the bottom of the stock pot (crudely... no jigsaw but whatever), drilled all the holes, and was ready to mount everything. Then, to my horror, I realized that the holes I drilled for the carriage bolts (which will hold up the clay pot diffuser), were too low. They now sit below the lip of the smokey joe. I can't plug them with any hardware because then the stock pot won't fit inside the smokey joe. FUBAR'ed!!

So I go online to look for another pot. Looks like I was about 5 months too late on getting the Vasconia 32 qt pot for $20. Now they are COMPLETELY gone from the net. I emailed some of my local walmart stores, hoping that they have one on a shelf somewhere, but I'm not holding my breath. So it looks like getting a replacement is not going to happen. Does anyone know of a source for these? Anybody have a spare they wouldn't mind selling?

Now I'm thinking that it might just be better to get a 14.5 inch Smokey mtn. More expensive, but it looks really nice.

I'm also stuck between buying the Maverick ET-733 with upgraded probes ($75) or the Thermoworks Pro BBQ Kit ($221). The advantage of the later option is I'll have a very nice handheld meter for brewing beer, which is another hobby of mine. Obviously it's very expensive though.

Do the Thermoworks probes fit through the BBQguru probe eyelet assembly for the WSM? I know the Mavericks don't, but I don't know how big the probes are on the Thermoworks. I'd really like to not have to drill through the WSM to have the probe assemblies fit.

Hoping you guys can offer some guidance.

Thanks

My suggestion would be to get a Maverick ET-73 on Amazon for like 35 bucks and put all that other money you're thinking about spending toward a 22.5 WSM :mrgreen:

If the holes you drilled are below the rim of the SJ what's the problem?

That's why my dad preaches "measure twice, cut once".

Try plugging them with a compression or maybe a blind rivet so they can be flat.

If stock pots aren't available online, try Harbor Freight or a Restaurant Supply store near you.

J-B Weld and file smooth on the outside? Not sure what's in J-B that may be toxic? Check MSDS online.

C J, my approach was different. I decided to do the whole build and bought all the parts and completed it in about 3 hours. Super easy and you won't be sorry. A great project to come back to some smoking.

As for the pot, I got the 32 quart IMUSA tamale pot at Target. I wanted instant gratification. Target online showed it in stock at a store a ways away but I placed the internet order, got a coffee, and by the time I was there the pot was ready for pickup.

It is now my go-to smoker as the WSM 22" is overkill for me most of the time (but I am glad to know it is there just in case). I followed the plans in this thread, by the way, minus the decal: http://bbqbros.net/how-to-build-a-mini-weber-smokey-mountain/

The lip on the IMUSA pot was a little too wide to fit the top for the Smokey Joe Gold. I just took some pliers and crimped around the lip a little. Top fits snugly now. I can't help on your probe question. By the way this unit keeps temp quite well. I put on the thermometer with a 2.5" probe extending right under the grate. Very easy to lift the whole top section off to add lump or wood. Much easier than the 22 WSM. You will be happy if you get a new pot for a re-do or else just use the one with the wrong holes. Maybe you can close the top vent a little bit more than normal. Good luck!

Back