• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS burn - pine

Petee_c

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm picking up an open top food grade drum with liner this week, and thinking about getting ready for the burn.

I have a lot of scrap pine from my workshop (2x4 cutoffs, and logs from a jackpine we cut down a couple years ago.) Is this ok to burn it out with?). My woodworking skills aren't good enough to splurge on hardwoods.

The 2x4's around here are SPF (Spruce - Pine or Fir).

I know there may be creosole (sp?) with softwoods, but is that an issue if I'm wire brushing afterwards?

Is a 2 - 3 hour burn enough to weaken the liner and get the paint off?

Thanks,
Peter
1st post on BBQ-B

Lite it up. I used old pallets to burn mine out. Your good to go. I don't recall my liner and paint surviving much longer than a half hour once the fire was raging.

anything other than treated lumber should be fine. I used all kinds of sticks twigs 2x4 scrap in mine, it worked fine.

Thanks all,

PS. Is there a search function on this forum? I 've looked and looked.

I wouldn't burn it out with pine but I'm very particular.

Not sure how it would matter especially since he will more than likely still need to sand/wire brush it out to get to bare metal. Now seasoning it, is a whole different story.

Not sure what the particulars of jackpine are, but the pine we have over here is just full of sap, even when seasoned. I'd be careful with it. Last thing you want is all that junk sticking onto your uds.

I would use the pine with no qualms for a burnout. Sap? Extra fuel that increases the heat of the fire.

I would use the pine as long as it is not treated for the burn out since you should be wire brushing it to bare metal after the burn.

Not sure why you would want to scrub/wire brush to bare metal after a 2 - 3 hour burn, but if that trips your trigger.......

Blessings,

Omar

Not sure why you would want to scrub/wire brush to bare metal after a 2 - 3 hour burn, but if that trips your trigger.......

Blessings,

Omar

I don't like to gamble with my or others health, which is why i took mine to bare metal. I know the bare metal is safe. I have no idea how safe the liner is and how un-safe it gets after being introduced to high heat and flames.
Just my personal take on it.

id stay far away form pine.. or any softwoods... pine can ruin a steel pit by laying down a layer of tar like sticky stuff on the metal that wont disappear and imparts bitterness to the meat for many subsequent burns.. i dont know why it would be any different on a drum... Stick with hardwoods.

Back