Curing Bacon - Question now that I have done it once

jcpetro97

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
about a month ago, I cured and smoked a couple of pork bellies to make bacon. I used a simple cure with maple syrup, morton's tender quick, and black pepper. I let it cure for 10 days, even though the "process" I was following only called for 7 days. I sliced it up, and froze it, and finally cooked some up this past weekend. What I noticed was that the edges seemed to have a nice flavor, but nothing that really penetrated into the meat. Did I do something wrong.

BTW, after curing for the 10 days, I soaked in water for about 90 minutes, then let it dry in the fridge overnight. I had seen soak times anywhere from 30 min to 3 hours.

Any feedback would be appreciated. ( let me know if I left anything out that might help get an answer )

I wouldn't soak it before slicing a few pieces and test frying it. If its too salty than soak it for 30mins than do another test fry and repeat if needed. I have found using tenderquick doesn't leave it too salty for my tastes so I dont bother soaking

ok, thanks!! I"ll give that a try next time. :D

One of the other lessons learned here, was I think I needed to cut the belly in 4, for no other reason than to get more flavor in, and because I ended up cutting it in 4 anyway to get it on the slicer.

I have done both dry cure and wet cure. The wet cure carries flavors (maple for me) inside much better, but dry cure concentrates bacon flavor.

Thanks llanero, I didn't find much on wet curing anything other than a pork loin for canadian bacon, so I hadn't even considered it. I'll do some digging, and maybe do a "cure off" to see which I like better.

I've brined for ten days and had good results, I've never soaked though a quick wash is all I've ever done, soaking would remove or neutralise the flavour you spent ten days putting in there. Check out amazingribs.com there's a great recipe for maple and brown sugar bacon that is excellent tasting and a good method to use.

about a month ago, I cured and smoked a couple of pork bellies to make bacon. I used a simple cure with maple syrup, morton's tender quick, and black pepper. I let it cure for 10 days, even though the "process" I was following only called for 7 days. I sliced it up, and froze it, and finally cooked some up this past weekend. What I noticed was that the edges seemed to have a nice flavor, but nothing that really penetrated into the meat. Did I do something wrong.

BTW, after curing for the 10 days, I soaked in water for about 90 minutes, then let it dry in the fridge overnight. I had seen soak times anywhere from 30 min to 3 hours.

Any feedback would be appreciated. ( let me know if I left anything out that might help get an answer )

A wet cure is quicker than a dry cure, and the time shouldn't have been a problem. If it wasn't cured, maybe the amount of Tenderquick wasn't right. With a wet cure you add based on the amount of liquid, not the weight of the meat.

What was your recipe...

Keep in mind that the molecular structure of some spices and flavorings are to large to penetrate the meat and only the outside will have flavor of some ingredients.

Last edited:
It was a dry cure. This was my recipe. This is for 1 lb, so I adjusted, since I had a 4lb belly.

Curing Mix (per pound of meat)
1 Tbsp. Morton’s Tender Quick
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper

It was a dry cure. This was my recipe. This is for 1 lb, so I adjusted, since I had a 4lb belly.

1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. maple syrup

Tablespoon or teaspoon?

1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. maple syrup

Good basic recipe, keep in mind that sugars will slightly hinder the curing process, and may take a day longer, but nothing to worry about. There is an adequate amount of salt in the Morton Tenderquick to allow the cure to migrate into the pork belly.

Also black pepper, pickling spice, granulated onion, or crushed bay leaves leaves can be added for additional flavors.

If the smoke flavor was lacking, you can cold smoke for an hour or two before warm smoking, and when done wrap tightly in saran wrap and let sit in the refrigerator for a day or two to let the smoke flavor migrate further into the meat before slicing and freezing.

Last edited:
I would add to your recipe enough kosher salt to coat the outside of your product. I put all my cure, salt, spices, etc in a bowl, mix it up, put enough on to coat the outside of the pork belly well (like bury the sucker), shake off excess and put in a ziplock to cure. It will be visibly coated in the mixture, and as the week goes by and the salt draws the moisture out of the belly there will be a slurry created by the cure and the water from the belly (not much though) and flip every day. Rinse off, pat dry and cold or hot smoke, whatever you prefer.

You want to feel that it is done by firmness not by time. You will know it is done when the whole belly feels very firm to the touch and not floppy like it was when it was "green."

Back