Butcher BBQ Injection Question

SwineGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I used Butcher injections at a comp for the first time this weekend. For the pork injection I cut it half water and half fruit nectar. It was awesome and I got a 3rd place call. For the brisket injection I followed the instructions of 3 scoops mix and 2 cups water. The brisket was definitely juicy and looked great. But it came out waaaay to salty. Anybody have any experience with this happening? I don't know if I made an error mixing (don't think so) or perhaps I over injected the brisket. It was a 12.5 pound brisket that was trimmed pretty aggressively and after injecting I poured the rest into a bag and let the brisket marinade in it for about 8 hours before putting it in the smoker. Maybe that was the problem?

Anybody have any ideas why it would be so salty?

Thanks...

I used Butcher injections at a comp for the first time this weekend. For the pork injection I cut it half water and half fruit nectar. It was awesome and I got a 3rd place call. For the brisket injection I followed the instructions of 3 scoops mix and 2 cups water. The brisket was definitely juicy and looked great. But it came out waaaay to salty. Anybody have any experience with this happening? I don't know if I made an error mixing (don't think so) or perhaps I over injected the brisket. It was a 12.5 pound brisket that was trimmed pretty aggressively and after injecting I poured the rest into a bag and let the brisket marinade in it for about 8 hours before putting it in the smoker. Maybe that was the problem?

Thanks...

I think I did the same thing the first time I used it. I didn't let it marinade in it, but I injected a fully mixed batch (enough for two briskets) into just one brisket thinking "can't have too much flavor." Mine was also salty, so I think using it as a marinade might have been the culprit. I found I have to basically pour just the amount I need into a container or I will want to keep injecting even after I have used half.

i usually do a bigger brisket (16-19) pounds and inject around 10 ounces of injection in the brisket and it seems to be plenty. after I inject i wipe the excess of the outside of the brisket and then put it back in the cooler without any extra poured in for marinade.

What kind and how much rub did you use? You don't have to give up secrets but don't count out too much rub or a rub that is very salty either.

Have you used the same rub and only changed to Butchers injection recently? Trying to narrow down what you changed and what could be the real culprit of your salty brisket.

I'm pretty close to the package ratios and it isn't overly salty at all.

A question is Did you just think it was salty? or Did you also get bad scores because it was too salty? That extra salt can help with flavor. Obviously there is a line, but just wondering if it scored bad because of the salt.

What kind and how much rub did you use? You don't have to give up secrets but don't count out too much rub or a rub that is very salty either.

Have you used the same rub and only changed to Butchers injection recently? Trying to narrow down what you changed and what could be the real culprit of your salty brisket.

Good Point. I went right to thinking it was the injection but I also used a new combination of rubs. It was a couple of commercial rubs that I had researched and saw that they worked well together.

I'm pretty close to the package ratios and it isn't overly salty at all.

A question is Did you just think it was salty? or Did you also get bad scores because it was too salty? That extra salt can help with flavor. Obviously there is a line, but just wondering if it scored bad because of the salt.

I definitely scored lower than I have been. And the brisket was very juicy and looked great, something I attribute positively to the injection. So I have to believe the saltiness played a part in the scores, though I did not get any comment cards. Wife tasted the brisket and had to chug some water.

I get the fine line point...saltiness helps with the flavor especially in the one bite world of judging. But this was definitely over the top. I think I just need to step back a little on the amount of injection and possibly the rub.

I definitely scored lower than I have been. And the brisket was very juicy and looked great, something I attribute positively to the injection. So I have to believe the saltiness played a part in the scores, though I did not get any comment cards. Wife tasted the brisket and had to chug some water.

I get the fine line point...saltiness helps with the flavor especially in the one bite world of judging. But this was definitely over the top. I think I just need to step back a little on the amount of injection and possibly the rub.

It could have been the rub. We use something in addition to water in our brisket injection that is high in sodium on top of the normal bag instruction quantity of butchers and don't notice overly salty. Not sure if that helps, but just wanted to let you know. We also put 16oz of injection into one brisket.

We also put 16oz of injection into one brisket.

The more I think about it the more I think I may have over injected it. I put more than 16 ounces into it then I soaked it in the liquid for 8 hours. I'll play with the rubs some, but I think I put too much of the liquid into it.

The more I think about it the more I think I may have over injected it. I put more than 16 ounces into it then I soaked it in the liquid for 8 hours. I'll play with the rubs some, but I think I put too much of the liquid into it.

Cool. Ya play around with it. I've heard of people soaking with the extra liquid, but of course it depends on exactly what else is in the liquid that is doing the soaking, so a few unknown variables for those other teams I've heard that soak.

Also size does come into play as well, so I just re-read that you had a 12.5 that was trimmed down. For context I normally get something in the 16-17lb range and trim down to maybe 14-15lb.

Thanks...

I had a similar issue at our last contest, the Guinea Pig. I used my usual measurements for my injection, but when it was done it seemed way saltier than normal. My score was definitely not what I usually expect in brisket either, but that could have been because of the level of competition at that particular event.

I've never had a problem with Butcher's being too salty. Make up a batch and taste it before you inject. Taste a couple of tablespoons. If it's not too salty then, it likely wasn't the injection. If it is salty - back off some on injecting. And maybe not marinate with it. I personally wouldn't anyway.

Since we cut down to cooking 1 brisket instead of 2, I inject the full batch into the 1 brisket. Never had a problem with a too salty taste. I also wipe off any excess from the meat and also after letting the meat sit for about 20 minutes after injecting, drain any excess injection from the pan and then put it in the cooler til it gets rubbed and put on the smoker.

If you're adding a flavorful liquid when you wrap, that may be a culprit too. I switched to unsalted beef broth and it seemed to help.

It will be in the rub, I can tell you we add salt to the brisket before adding our rub. I get this question about every 6 months and it is always the rub. Try a rub that is lower in salt and this will fix your salty issue.

Last edited:
Back