cherry wood and color?

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Some things just are repeated until they are true. Soak wood chips, you have remove the membrane, cooking over 250* will result in shoe leather.

Those are things most of us have heard repeated time and time again until large portions of people believe it. No one knows where it starts but it gains perpetual momentum and cant be stopped. They are also isms most of us know arent entirety true.

Amongst bbqers i often here cherry wood adds color, sometimes making Q darker. Its been repeated time and time again. But is it just that, a bit of info regurgitated until true?

So i seek the definitive answer. Does cherry wood add extra color to Q?

Im more interested in results of wood fired Q than charcoal flavored with chunks/chips. Ive been burning sticks for close to six months and used cherry for almost all my cooking. Ive yet to notice a particular color difference from my charcoal cooks to all cherry wood.

What say ye?

Does cherry wood have an effect on colour?

Ask columbia1

He cooks strictly w/ cherry wood on a RF stick burner.
I'll call him and ask him to chime in.

definitely!!

IMAG0288-1024x577.jpg

I find that cherry wood does add a bit of color. Never really had it turn "darker". I always get a real rich red color with it. More than other woods I have used over the years.

Ahhh yeah.
There's that cherry Kool-Aid I'm used to!

ABSOLUTELY!

You dont notice because you have never cooked with anything else.
Charcoal and chips is WAY different than cooking with all wood.

I primarily use Hickory and love a little cherry chunks in my drum but personally would never use all cherry in a wood burner.

YMMV! :thumb:

I find I get a subtle red hue to things cooked with cherry compared to other woods...

I just got a load of Cherry so I am going to give it a shot in my offset and see how things turn out.

I've used a lot of cherry and IMO it doesn't make a big difference on ALL meats. But I've found that it's effect on BEEF to be enough to notice.

I also think the color is more noticeable on longer cooks(over 6 hours). So there's a chance it may show up on pork butts just as beef, but I just don't use cherry for pork butt.

I've added a couple of cherry chunks when cooking chicken on Weber Kettle and it certainly seems to add a nice mahogany color... I can't say I've ever seen another wood add color like cherry.

I have smoked poultry with both hickory and cherry. The cherry does come out darker than the hickory.

i use a blend up front for my cooks..... 50/50 hickory and cherry for a few hours then all hickory after that. Your meat will only take so much smoke infusion after that its just getting it to your target I.T.

I can't speak to cherrywood but I can tell you that Peach wood definitely turns pork darker than say hickory or oak and that ain't no bourbon 'er I mean urban legend. ;D

I have used hickory exclusively when smoking. We have a lot of wild black cherry growing around our house and woods. I want to try it. Should I start with chicken or pork?

Back