First UDS Build Questions

Low-and-Slow

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Greetings from NC. I have been lurking and gathering all kinds of useful information. I've also been gathering materials for my first UDS build. I found an open top unlined drum that held organic olive oil. Still have to do a burn out and season the inside and paint the outside. Originally I was planning to use the flat lid but was thinking it might make sense to flip it and cut the bottom. Hopefully this would allow me to use a Weber lid and have a removable bottom (used to be top) for easy clean up and future replacement. Are there any drawbacks to this design? Would it be best to stick with the flat lid on top to start with and possibly flip later, knowing that I will have to plug old holes and drill new ones?

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge that has already been provided and for any insight you can offer. I'll try to get some pics as the build progresses. It will have to be slow and steady due to lack of free time but hopefully it'll turn out some good food.

There are so many variations on the UDS that it just boils down to personal preference. I do like the idea of flipping the barrel so the bottom can be taken off for cleaning.I used a Walmart 22.5 knock off lid for my UDS,

What ever works for you is the way to do it. I put a 1" deep pizza pan on the bottom of my drum and set the charcoal basket on it. It is easy for me to lift out the pan, knock off the loose ash and scrape off the hard stuff each time I light it up. Every now and then I take a wire brush to the walls of the drum, leaving the pizza pan on the bottom and it catches the loose stuff that gets brushed off, then emptied. Now, if you are talking about an 85 gallon drum, then that won't work unless you're 8' tall. Have fun building your UDS, you will love the finished product! Don't forget to post pics of your progress and cooks.

If I build another it will be upside down sitting on the flat lid. Saw one like that at the last N Texas Bash. He lit his chimney dumped in the basket sitting on the lid/bottom and set the drum over it. When he was done cooking he picked drum off base and put out his fire with water vs snuffing it so he could load it in truck and not have to wait for cool down. He also had a single large slider vent intake I liked. He can adjust it with his foot. Being able to pick the drum up off base/charcoal basket means you can tend fire if needed or add to it and it's easy to clean ash out ....:thumb:

If I build another it will be upside down sitting on the flat lid. Saw one like that at the last N Texas Bash. He lit his chimney dumped in the basket sitting on the lid/bottom and set the drum over it. When he was done cooking he picked drum off base and put out his fire with water vs snuffing it so he could load it in truck and not have to wait for cool down. He also had a single large slider vent intake I liked. He can adjust it with his foot. Being able to pick the drum up off base/charcoal basket means you can tend fire if needed or add to it and it's easy to clean ash out ....:thumb:

These are all good points Smitty! Maybe on my next one.:grin:

You can see it in the background of this pic of CaseyDog hitting the bottle........

Either Big Green Egg or Primo intake - one of the Kamados

Here are two other options.
intakevent_zps2e8eb2f2.jpg

AirflowControlClosures_zps330e4a0d.jpg

I'll go ahead as planned then. For intakes I am planning on (1) 3/4" ball valve and (2) 1" holes covered by flexible magnets. I'm also planning to put the bolts in for two grates at 8" and close to the top with a third set of bolts for a diffuser or to raise the basket if needed. The idea is to start simple (basket and one grate) then add as needed. Thanks for the advice. Now there's nothin' to it but to do it.

^Has anyone had a magnet melt to their UDS? I had a magnetic tray at the bottom of mine to keep my exhaust and intake covers and it melted to my UDS. It's probably a half inch thick and built up some heat in it when it melted. It's not going anywhere now!

I tried to post to my previous thread but it said it was too old. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198824

After searching (unsuccessfully) for a Weber on Craiglist for a while, I have decided to move forward using the flat lid. The search will continue and I can flip it later and cap the current holes.

I burned out the barrel this weekend and painted using grill Rustoleum. The inside was only rust inhibitor so no red liner. What I didn't consider is that the inside would be covered in soot from the fire. Do I need to remove this and season it or will it soot up again? Will a coin-operated car wash do the trick to remove it? For the time being I sprayed with canola as a temporary solution.

Thanks

Clean it, the car wash should work fine. You want a good clean surface for seasoning. Then season it with spray cooking oil. Enjoy

There should be something to click on saying that you know it is old but you wan to reply anyway.

I tried to post to my previous thread but it said it was too old. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198824

After searching (unsuccessfully) for a Weber on Craiglist for a while, I have decided to move forward using the flat lid. The search will continue and I can flip it later and cap the current holes.

I burned out the barrel this weekend and painted using grill Rustoleum. The inside was only rust inhibitor so no red liner. What I didn't consider is that the inside would be covered in soot from the fire. Do I need to remove this and season it or will it soot up again? Will a coin-operated car wash do the trick to remove it? For the time being I sprayed with canola as a temporary solution.

Thanks

Can't answer your question, but is this the Low-and-Slow that I know?

Can't answer your question, but is this the Low-and-Slow that I know?

Hmm, other than all my exes I can't think of anyone I know in Texas. But if you're ever headed up 95 let me know and we can meet up.

There should be something to click on saying that you know it is old but you wan to reply anyway.

My mistake--I guess I was in too much of a hurry to get going on the rest of the build. Thanks for the heads up.

Back