First Pork Butt on the UDS....

Doug Crann

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
And I am a bit unsure of it all. Have done a few butts in the MES40 and the BGE. All were very good. One of them went into Tamales.
This butt is a little guy, only about 5.5 pounds. Want to have it for dinner on Sunday. Debating putting it on at midnight or so and letting it run, no foil.....and hoping the UDS just keeps chugging along.
Other thought process is getting up at 5 or so and getting it started....and foiling it at 160 or so. Have only foiled ribs...and always add a small amount of Fireball whisky. Ribs are always great....but a butt ain't ribs :roll::roll:.....
So what say you fine folks? If I decide to foil how much booze should I put in with it?

I like to foil my butts and my ribs. Just a creature of habbit I guess.

Is this your first cook on the uds, or have you run her before? I ask because once you know your uds, getting it to chug along is a cake walk.

Timing depends on what temp. you decide to run. Nothing wrong with your start at midnight idea, or the get up early one. I usually get them started the night before and wrap them when I have a nice color,... Then, off to bed while the uds holds 250. I get up in the mourning when I have figured she'll be ready and check. If ready, a rest and into the cooler with towels for the hold. If not,. the uds chugs on. The good part about the over night sleep cook is it's ready and well rested for a good dinner. Of course it could be with a wake up cook too,.... but like I said... creature of habit. Plan on an hour and a little change per pound at 250. She's done when the bone wiggles nice and free. If you run hotter your timing will be different,.. lotta fellas like a hot and fast run. Just use the search feature for hot and fast butts. Or low and slow butts. Plenty of info.

As for the booze,.. I would suggest sparingly. But, it is your call. That butt is gonna be plenty moist when you go to pull it after the rest. Kick some butt! happy smokin

I have started running around 275 for my butts, they are very forgiving and the cook times are half of a low and slow but you can't tell a difference in the finished product. I cook average 9lb butts in the neighborhood of 8 hours, you can raise or lower the temp to speed it up or slow it down if needed. I use to love the all night cooks but lately have enjoyed the extra sleep. Your 5.5lb should take 6 hours or so at 275-300.

I like to foil my butts and my ribs. Just a creature of habbit I guess.

Is this your first cook on the uds, or have you run her before? I ask because once you know your uds, getting it to chug along is a cake walk.

Timing depends on what temp. you decide to run. Nothing wrong with your start at midnight idea, or the get up early one. I usually get them started the night before and wrap them when I have a nice color,... Then, off to bed while the uds holds 250. I get up in the mourning when I have figured she'll be ready and check. If ready, a rest and into the cooler with towels for the hold. If not,. the uds chugs on. The good part about the over night sleep cook is it's ready and well rested for a good dinner. Of course it could be with a wake up cook too,.... but like I said... creature of habit. Plan on an hour and a little change per pound at 250. She's done when the bone wiggles nice and free. If you run hotter your timing will be different,.. lotta fellas like a hot and fast run. Just use the search feature for hot and fast butts. Or low and slow butts. Plenty of info.

As for the booze,.. I would suggest sparingly. But, it is your call. That butt is gonna be plenty moist when you go to pull it after the rest. Kick some butt! happy smokin
I do foil my ribs....next time going to go without. How does no foil alter the time? On my BGE it is 225* for 3 hours, 2 in the foil with some Fireball and then half hour exposed.
I have used the drum for burgers and dogs. I have smoked a Tri Tip, other than fact that the rub was a bit too mild. Had a beautiful smoke ring. One .750" ball valve open and it sat right at 225j.
I have started running around 275 for my butts, they are very forgiving and the cook times are half of a low and slow but you can't tell a difference in the finished product. I cook average 9lb butts in the neighborhood of 8 hours, you can raise or lower the temp to speed it up or slow it down if needed. I use to love the all night cooks but lately have enjoyed the extra sleep. Your 5.5lb should take 6 hours or so at 275-300.
I have seen where several folks have mentioned 275-300*. How does pushing it effect the bark?

This cook is intended as a comparison cook, so to speak. Want to see how the UDS compares to both the BGE and our MES40.

Have every intention of trying a higher temperature cook, both on the BGE and the UDS. I have only been smoking since the end of last year. Have had the BGE since 05 or so, just never had the desire to smoke. Was chatting with the wife yesterday about things....she asked why the MES sees so little action. I just like the flavor of food smoked the old fashioned way...with wood. Can't wait to get my RF built...

Sorry for rambling...

Back