Apple wood question?

SLCMACK

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
When is the best time to use Apple wood to smoke with? Did it matter much if it's dead or still green?

When is the best time to use Apple wood to smoke with? Did it matter much if it's dead or still green?

I tried apple that wasn't dried out enough and it tasted bad. I then got some that was nice and dry which was much better. Get that stuff dry if you can! And use it anytime, just make sure it's dry.

Green wood is not good to smoke with, you will get a smoldering fire and the food could come out bitter

Always season your wood for best results and flavor...

I've had good luck using prunings from the early spring by fall, but no earlier.

+1 on dry, seasoned wood. Apple is great for any meat, especially chicken & pork.

Green wood is not good to smoke with, you will get a smoldering fire and the food could come out bitter

Always season your wood for best results and flavor...

All wood should be dry when you use it.

+1 on dry, seasoned wood. Apple is great for any meat, especially chicken & pork.

Sorry gents, but I wholeheartedly disagree when we're talking apple. I prefer to use it green when I can. I cook at higher temps, 280°-325°, and unseasoned apple works just fine at these temps. I get fragrant TBS every time. Works even better when grilling indirect at 400°+.
Of course I am assuming that we are all talking about using chunks for smoke flavor. If you want to use green wood as fuel in a stick burner then all bets are off and that apple needs to be dry.:thumb:

Since all I have is dry, that's what I use.
Did I see that Franklin (in his new book) uses green wood for smoke?
I thought I read that in a post recently.

Cut it, split it, stack it, and let it season. Best thing is to start a good wood pile, and keep replenishing it so that you will always have a good supply of well seasoned Q'ing wood. BTW - if ya throw a tarp over the stack, it'll keep longer, and season faster.

Back