For those that do hot n fast briskets

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
How do y'all keep the edges from cooking too fast and "burning" or getting done before the middle?

I finally learned how to cook a brisket (at lower temps) and now am experimenting with hotter temps. But I'm having a problem with the edges cooking faster (and sometimes overcooking). How do y'all ensure an even cook with the higher temps?

First, a more aggressive trim job. Get any thin or ragged edges cut off or cleaned up. Second, I wrap in butcher paper when I get the color I want. Some thinner edges can still overcook a bit and crumble, but they don't quite turn into jerky. Last brisket I did had only a couple of very small spots of overdoneness.

You could pan it after 3-4 hrs. Even in Butcher Paper the edges can char......but I'll sacrifice the edges to knock out Briskets in 6-7-8 hrs. :wink:

Trim the skinny edges off or once they get a decent color put a small piece of foil over the edges to protect them. I Trim off anything I think is too pointed or too skinny. Those little pieces get rubbed and make good snacks if you remember to pull them out after an hour or 2.

Its been touched on already here. The trim job is a whole different animal. Low and slo is forgiving to the lack of trimming. When you do hot and fast you want to trim the flat back to a thicker portion. No more can you let the thin tongue stay there. Now this is all referring to a competition H&F. If this is for home consumption season them later in the cook and enjoy real burnt ends.

Trimming does help.. I know that most the time the toe end of the flat is going to be a bit overdone compared to the rest, so the first thing I do when I start carving it up is chop that end off and Vac seal for chili. Its not like we're going to eat a whole packer in one sitting anyways!

Take ruler and stand it next to the flat when you can't see any thing below the 1" mark take your knife and lop off everything past the ruler.

You're going to love the H&F. Can't go back to the double digit hours anymore. I agree with the trimming part, but if you forget, no big deal. You can always toss it in another recipe, or reheat it with some of the juices/broth to make it more tender.

You're going to love the H&F. Can't go back to the double digit hours anymore.
I second the notion. My very best was H+F, Bludawgs,
ain't got no butcher paper, went to the grocery and bought paper bags (5 cents here apiece in Monkey County, MD), wrapped the Wally World Brisky in my paper bags,
let it rest as the dawg says, it was fantastic.
FAN FARKING Fantastic. Since my wife doesn't like smoked stuff,
I vac packed alot, and basically, me and my dog ate the whole thing over a period of time. Silly good.

Y'all don't kill me all at once BUTT:

1. I don't care how "thin" the trim is, if it's meat I will be keeping it for the price of these rigs.

2. The window for done to perfection is longer low and slow verses hot and fast.

3. More beer drankin' time.

To each his own though.

2. The window for done to perfection is longer low and slow verses hot and fast.
You got that right.
I hear of guys going 19 hours or such -
that's ridiculous.

You got that right.
I hear of guys going 19 hours or such -
that's ridiculous.

I guess that would depend on your particular situation. And no way I mean smoking it at 225*F. I'm running around 250-275*F and wrapping but it can still take 12-16 hours. Not a problem for a backyard guy.

I'm old school still too (52). 250 degrees and normally about 1hr per lb but it varies and no wrapping. One day I will do a hot n fast just to see but I always think about the bbq places here in TX and I don't think anyone does it fast.

I usually go anywhere from 275-300. I trim the thin pieces off, put them in separate and just remove them after a couple hours. Makes for a good lunch while I wait for dinner to finish.

Back