• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

sugar in rubs

Gasket

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was just wondering if the brethren who use turbinado sugar in their rubs leave the grains large or do you grind them down to a finer granule or does it even matter. I'm asking because I've heard others say the large grains tend to clump and leave an overly sweet area on the food kinda like biting into a lump of sugar. What does the Brethren think?

I use kosher salt and turbinado sugar in some of my rub concoctions. I pulse in a food processor to mix and to make certain all of the spices are happy together.

Turbinato is the only sugar i ever use. It does not burn as brown sugar does, leaving that horrible BURNT molasses taste in my throat. Ya. i leave them the size that they are.

When it comes to my ribs I always use light brown sugar and kosher salt. I add other ingredients as well but just put that info in per the op thread. If your cooking at a low temp your sugar will not burn.
I try to rub them down the night before. Gives time for everything to blend into the meat!! It really does make a difference.

If you don't want the larger grains, just go with a different raw sugar. Florida Crystals that Wally World sells is the same grain size as regular white sugar.

I leave turbinado sugar as is . I let it sit on the meat until it melts , then throw it in the smoker... Just use a small coat of turbinado sugar , evenly applied ..

I use as is. I've never had an issue with clumping, but I don't use much sugar in my rubs and I don't cake my rub on very thick.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

use as is...never too sweeeet, as it coats then melts off I dont feel that it sweetens the meat up..as you balance the sweetness away...

Turbinado is all I use. I use it "as is" and clumping has never been an issue. Regular old brown sugar clumps like mad down here in Louisiana but turbinado has no issues in my house.

Back