Chicken (sigh)

QorDie

Got Wood.
Reaction score
My wife left 15 pounds of (frozen) chicken wings out over night. When I went downstairs I noticed the bag and immediately grabbed my thermapen. The top few wings were at about ~44 degrees, everything else was between 30-38, with ice still at the bottom of the bag. The house is about 72 degrees.

Given that I don't know how long the wings had sat above 40 degrees (2 hours is the max guideline)-- thoughts? My inclination is that they couldn't be above 40 degrees for that long considering they were just hitting 44, and only a few wings, but maybe that's just crazy talk.

Just my opinion, but there is no cost worth getting sick from bad chicken. I wouldn't want to risk it, and would have to pitch it. Just me though.

Toss the warmest ones to allay your fears and cook the others up. Drink lots of beer to hydrate just in case things go south fast.

I tend to abide by the old rule, "when in doubt, throw it out."

I tossed a whole rack of spares recently after thawing in a 35° fridge for two days because the cheap cryo pack they were in had come open on one end. I found a puddle of liquid in the bottom of the fridge and traced it back to the one rib pack that had leaked. After I rinsed them off and they still smelled bad, I saw some dark spots on the meaty side. This caused me to toss them and get another slab to cook.

Actually, the guidelines from Foodsafe Class is 4 hrs between 140 and 4. This is TOTAL time, not continuous time. I would cook em no problem.

NUTZ

Threw them out, got new wings that I didn't have time to trim like I would like, but the overall product wasn't that bad.

Hi Guys, right now I'm drinking a bruskie and reading what you guys are saying. Let me introduce myself. My name is Bob But I go by Mr. Wonderful. I just joined this site and and am very excited at the idea of learning new ideas in grilling. Ok back to your chicken. The allowed internal temperature for raw chicken is 41f. I would discard the meat that was above 41f and could use (if you want) the one that was at or less then 41f. My reasoning on this comes because I am a meat inspector for the State of Texas and I go through stuff like this at work all the time.
Mr Wonderful!

Back