Newest Experiment, Oatmeal Stuffed Chops

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Stuffing. I LOVE STUFFING. Unfortunately, it contains bread, normally. That means that for right now, it is off limits for dinner as my family is still trying to stick with gluten free dinners. However, when I saw the awesome meatloaf that Paul made (NoExcusesBBQ.com) and the list of ingredients that went into it, I got an idea for stuffing. OATMEAL!

That's when I decided to make Brown Sugar-Pear-Oatmeal-Stuffed-Thick Cut-Boneless-Pork Chops.

I started by mixing up a fruit cup worth of diced pears with 3 Tbs Brown Sugar and about 1/3 cup of Steel Cut Oats. The reason I wanted to use thick cut pork chops was because it allowed for an easier pocket to be cut into the meat and I went with boneless so I could sit them on their side and have them work like a pork bowl to cook the stuffing in. I stuffed the mixture into the chops as much as would fit with a little extra sticking out. I then rubbed them down with some Pig Pollen. They then went on to the weber to cook indirectly for about 35 minutes.

All that was left was to try them.

My first impression. Needs more brown sugar. Overall, the oatmeal had cooked perfectly. The chop stayed nice and moist. The pear and sugar combo went well with the meat but, I wanted more of that flavor and less of the oatmeal. It wasn't that the oatmeal was bad or off putting but, it did come of rather bland. Good thing I know the trick to make everything better, Cranberry BBQ Sauce.

That did the trick! It went from "meh":bored: to "Hell yeah!":clap2:. I still like this concept though and plan to play with it more in the future. :becky:

Thanks for looking!:thumb:

Nice job Mister. I use oatmeal in my meatloaf so can really appreciate how good that chop must me.

That looks very interesting, did the oatmeal take too much away from the meat

I wouldn't say that it took away from the meat so much as didn't enhance the flavor enough. I think more brown sugar would have helped and perhaps some salt added to it. it was riding that fine border between stuffing and being oatmeal inside a pork bowl.

I'm with ya! I LOVE stuffing! About 8 years ago when I started my journey of losing close to 100# I started playing with all of my recipes to find healthier versions. My mothers stuffing was high on the list. i used the oatmeal method as well, and found great success. Now, every holiday I make "healthy" things that taste just like the original but are better for me:)

Back