How To Lite a Charcoal Chimney (video)

I don't use lighter fluid, but as long as it is burned off I have no problem with it being used. The only issue I have is that lighting this way you are causing a downward burn instead of the flame being sucked up and through the starter as it is designed. This will result in an unevenly lit chimney.

I let them burn 5 minutes or so then use tongs to mix them up in the Chimney and burn 5-10 more minutes till they are all greyed over. :mrgreen:

I set one lighter fluid soaked charcoal briquette on the ground underneath the chimney and light it. The one briquette burns long enough to light the bottom coals above it in the chimney. Let'em burn until the flames go out and gray edges appear and into the grill they go.

I shove one of those parifin starter cubes up from underneath and light it. Then I wait for the HEAVY smoke to stop to where I can see again. After 5 more minutes it's ready for the "Q'r".

a weed burner is my best friend..

To each his own, but I think your missing the point of using the chimney. You could do the same thing in the bottom of the grill without the chimney...

To each his own, but I think your missing the point of using the chimney. You could do the same thing in the bottom of the grill without the chimney...

:crazy: Well I'd much rather pick up a chimney to dump into UDS than picking up an entire grill :wacko:

Maybe I am the one missing the point, but the way I saw it, Smitty was presenting a satirical representation of Myron Mixon's belief that there is nothing wrong with using starter fluid, as long as you let it burn off before you put the meat on. I will probably be considered a dumbass, but I agree.

Back