How To Lite a Charcoal Chimney (video)

I light my chimney on an old beat up kettle. Keeps the mess in one place and is a good way to reuse grease soaked brisket paper. Since I'm using briquettes, it's not much more ash.

I let them burn 5 minutes or so then use tongs to mix them up in the Chimney and burn 5-10 more minutes till they are all greyed over. :mrgreen:

I think you are working too hard. 3 sheets of balled up newspaper or some cubes. 15 to 20 minutes depending on how full the chimney is, never fails.

Not. The cubes suck I've tried them and the paper ash flies everywhere when you lift the chimney.

As per someone here, I can't remember who, I use my turkey fryer base to get my chimney started.

Brown Paper

I use a brown paper bag. If I don't have a bag, I'll use crumpled news paper with a table spoon of cooking oil. The oil makes for a longer burn...

When I'm at home I use the gasser to light the chimney. Camping or out in the field I use dryer lint. I find it burns up better and doesn't leave any paper ash blowing about.

So let me see if I have this straight now. Don't want starter fluid taste,don,t have any cubes, news paper gives too much ash,stores don,t use paper bags around here, don't need a torch so won't buy one,gaser side burner sparks too much,don't have a turkey burner,I ate all the Doritos, dryer lint will have softner in it so no good what am I to use ? OH which end do you put up or do you lay it on it's side. Thanks for all your help

When smoking, I light my chimney using the propane starter on my weber Performer. I leave the propane on for 5 minutes. Then I shut the gas off and let the rest of the chimney get going which takes about 20 minutes. One of these days I'm going to get a propane weed burner like some people use in thier UDS.

Chris

i dont get it. light with newspaper, put on ground. therefore no newspaper ashes in the cooker. put lit coals in cooker after 15 minutes or so.

I use the side burner on my gasser. I love that thing. Great for searing on cast iron, cooking friend chicken, and anything else that is smoky or messy.

Back