$500 Pits.

500 is a big buy. I just spent $400 on a 22 WSM that arives on tuesday, i can't wait! But it took some convincing to my wife to get it. It wasn't easy to convince her either. Took 3 whole days off together of showing her YouTube videos and customer reviews from multiple websites, all of which got 5 stars. And she still reminds me every day that she can't believe I spent $400 on a smoker.

I just bought a Used Vertical from DWFisk and its was in this price range - my most expensive purchase yet. They are usually Junkers from Craigs List for $60-$180..........

500 is a big buy. I just spent $400 on a 22 WSM that arives on tuesday, i can't wait! But it took some convincing to my wife to get it. It wasn't easy to convince her either. Took 3 whole days off together of showing her YouTube videos and customer reviews from multiple websites, all of which got 5 stars. And she still reminds me every day that she can't believe I spent $400 on a smoker.

Can definitely understand. 3 years ago I bought my first "expensive" cooker, wasn't much more than $500. Wife and I both thought it was way too much. I was like Smitty finding cheap stuff to cook on from CL. They come around after a few years.

Was just looking at the Old Country's today. I built a UDS and feel very comfortable and am ready for the next step which I think is a stick burner. But I think I might build one for myself after reading franklins book and working with the calculator. Don't know what would be better. Buy one or build one???

Was just looking at the Old Country's today. I built a UDS and feel very comfortable and am ready for the next step which I think is a stick burner. But I think I might build one for myself after reading franklins book and working with the calculator. Don't know what would be better. Buy one or build one???

Depends on your skill set and finances. Some build to save $ and some build to have a better smoker or certain size. I don't weld worth a chit and don't own a welder so have to haul things to work(and they wouldn't want me doing a Big project like that at work) or a Buddies house so I'd buy one. I do little fixes n such at work and I patched up a rusted out Bandera over at a Buddies house.

Skill set is no problem. Finances are in the $500 range. So don't know if is should get an Old Country delivered to Colorado or just build my own.

Skill set is no problem. Finances are in the $500 range. So don't know if is should get an Old Country delivered to Colorado or just build my own.

If you can weld and can get a propane tank or pipe for a fair price I'd build one. I would go 24" but I wouldn't want smaller than 20" Diameter. I'd go 48" on cook chamber and what calculator says on firebox but atleast 20" length so splits will fit. then I'd stick the firebox under it in center.......:heh: and make a double reverse flow T Pit like a Johnson. :mrgreen:

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=107

If you can weld and can get a propane tank or pipe for a fair price I'd build one. I would go 24" but I wouldn't want smaller than 20" Diameter. I'd go 48" on cook chamber and what calculator says on firebox but atleast 20" length so splits will fit. then I'd stick the firebox under it in center.......:heh: and make a double reverse flow T Pit like a Johnson. :mrgreen:

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=107

well I have a old pretty solid NB Silver Smoker in my backyard...trying to decide which mods to do to it in which order.

I get what the water pans are for, but how do you use the cookie sheets?

Academy - Arlington Tx July 28th 2015. I counted 12 Pecos, 8 Wranglers and 3 Over n Unders between what was in back and on front porch.

Of all the COS smokers mentioned, I think I am using the cheapest:

photo%202_1.jpg

It was about $100 out the door in a sale at Target. It is very light gauge steel and leaks smoke from every seam. The first two smokes did not work due to a silly assembly error.

I sorted that out, and last weekend I smoked an amazingly tasty pork butt.

photo%204.jpg

Next season, I will upgrade to a much better stick burner, but for now, I am learning to smoke meat......

Smitty
Wished I lived near an Academy store. I would like to look at a few of them models up close and personal.

Longhair75
Nice cook!!

Of all the COS smokers mentioned, I think I am using the cheapest:

photo%202_1.jpg

It was about $100 out the door in a sale at Target. It is very light gauge steel and leaks smoke from every seam. The first two smokes did not work due to a silly assembly error.

I sorted that out, and last weekend I smoked an amazingly tasty pork butt.

photo%204.jpg

Next season, I will upgrade to a much better stick burner, but for now, I am learning to smoke meat......

:thumb:

Back