Where to start with Trailer

You can never have too much truck (or in this case, tow vehicle).

Why can't a truck be your dedicated vehicle? They have some decked out ones as luxurious as anything on the market. Get a 3/4 ton with a crew cab and you'll have more room than you know what to do with. It's a lifestyle!

Extra cost, extra insurance, place to keep it.. competition is expensive enough.

Need to multitask with the vehicle. Truck as an every day driver.. not realistic for me .

you'll destroy that Audi and cause more wear and tear on it than the cost to buy a half ton truck. Even an explorer or something would be under powered for what you're trying to do. A Tahoe or expedition would serve the purpose. If you're not opposed to foreign cars (clearly you're not with the Audi) a Nissan Armada is perfect for what you're looking to do. Only down side is gas mileage. with a good weight distribution hitch the Armada can tow 7-9000 lbs.

Fortunately my teammate has a F150, but I had a 6x12 aluminum and the wife's GMC envoy was maxed out with it partially loaded. There was no way the Envoy rated at over 5K towing could safely pull a fully loaded 6x12 (~3K).

About a week after getting my own truck, I drove the wifes envoy and laughed at how much of a plastic clown car it was in comparison and cant believe I ever tried pulling the enclosed with it.

You can get an Explorer with the 3.5 eco and have all the power in the world and the select shift tranny, but the wheel base is still short, suspension is soft and a 7x16 might still be too much. At least the motor and tranny will hold up tho

*edit even the explorer is only rated for 5K towing. All chassis related. only a 115" wheelbase

Extra cost, extra insurance, place to keep it.. competition is expensive enough.

Need to multitask with the vehicle. Truck as an every day driver.. not realistic for me .
How many comps do you do a year?

Here's how this works when you get addicted:

When I started comps, I had a Trailblazer and got a 6x10 enclosed just to haul stuff (never intended to work inside).

For long trips, or nasty crosswinds, I wanted a little more truck so I got a Yukon.

Started doing prep and boxes in the trailer, moved up to 7x12 V-nose with more head room.

Yukon was a bit marginal, especially passing semi's in a crosswind. Moved up to an F-150.

The wife decided that she wanted to come with me more and needed a place to sleep. So, I bought a 28' '1/2 ton towable' 5th wheel intending to pull it with the 150.

Decided that it would be marginal for long trips and would suck gas. Never put a hitch on the it, traded for an F-250 Diesel instead.

Oh, if any needs an older Yukon or a nice 7x12 comp trailer, let me know.

What he said! I had a 7x16 v-nose. Burnt at Both Endz has it now. Started with a 1500, added to my white hair driving thru Memphis once. Parked the trailer and upgraded to a 2500 Duramax Diesel. No tow issues at all! Traded that truck 5 days after Cal bought the trailer. Almost felt bad I got such a great trade in deal from Ford. I can hear the salesman now, "A little old lady barely drove this truck..."

According to the manual, I can pull 2000 lbs. with my Corolla. I could haul a 4x6 trailer with my pretty basic comp setup. Just because I can, doesn't mean I will.

It's the BBQ circle of life. Buy a trailer, decide you need more truck, buy a new truck, decide you can handle a bigger trailer, buy new trailer decide you need more truck.

Seems everything is like that. I remember when I got a WSM because a $1000 Battle Box seemed unfathomable!

I would suggest you consider renting or borrowing an adequate tow vehicle. The wear and tear on your expensive Audi will more than offset a $200 local rental for a Uhaul if you are only doing a couple comps a year.

If you want to do more than that, then you really should be rethinking your priorities in the vehicle(s) you own or possibly your team makeup. If you can't afford to change that up, then you can't simply afford to cook that many contests. Sorry to be brutally honest, but this is just the plain truth.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to say that any experience you have with towing boats means very little. Pulling a boat is like towing a torpedo, whereas pulling a cargo trailer is like dragging a parachute. The wind load is a bigger factor than the weight when comparing boats and box trailers.

Last edited:
I would suggest you consider renting or borrowing an adequate tow vehicle. The wear and tear on your expensive Audi will more than offset a $200 local rental for a Uhaul if you are only doing a couple comps a year.

If you want to do more than that, then you really should be rethinking your priorities in the vehicle(s) you own or possibly your team makeup. If you can't afford to change that up, then you can't simply afford to cook that many contests. Sorry to be brutally honest, but this is just the plain truth.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to say that any experience you have with towing boats means very little. Pulling a boat is like towing a torpedo, whereas pulling a cargo trailer is like dragging a parachute. The wind load is a bigger factor than the weight when comparing boats and box trailers.

Got it guys.. that is why I asked..

Back