Some decisions are harder than others

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
And I have the Mexene, Gebharts, Cumin etc to blend my own. Of all the things in the culinary world that are pre packaged processed etc, I think Chili seasonings do a damn fine job.

Last edited:
I figure what ever path you choose you will end up with a fine chili dinner!

Which is your favorite? You've made the Sucklebusters before and it looked great...

I figure what ever path you choose you will end up with a fine chili dinner!

Which is your favorite? You've made the Sucklebusters before and it looked great...

I grew up on French's Chili O and dad would doctor it with garlic onion chili powder cumin etc. He would use burger, but boil it and rinse, no beans. It wasn't hot, but was really a nice spice kick. Lots of saltine crackers and ketchup.

When I think if comfort food I think of chili. Listen to people talk about the chili they grew up with. Really Listen. It's intetesting.

I've got a big old pot in the fridge right now- going to a friendly small competition tomorrow. Those are good chili spices you got going there (thought Gebhard's was unavailable now) but I still make some of my own from dried chilies and boil and pulverize some too. Plus always grind cumin seeds after a light roast

Unfortunately, here in NO-HIO most tastes have been perverted by the nasty azz Cincinnati style slop and whoever can emulate that will probably win. Yuk.

I've got a big old pot in the fridge right now- going to a friendly small competition tomorrow. Those are good chili spices you got going there (thought Gebhard's was unavailable now) but I still make some of my own from dried chilies and boil and pulverize some too. Plus always grind cumin seeds after a light roast

Unfortunately, here in NO-HIO most tastes have been perverted by the nasty azz Cincinnati style slop and whoever can emulate that will probably win. Yuk.

Good luck with your comp. If your stores quit carrying Gephardts it's on Amazon

Just cooked a big ( 2 lbs of chili grind chuck roast, 1lb of ground pork ) batch of chilli tonight for supper. Used some smoked ground cumin, McCormick's chilli powder, ground red pepper, chopped onions, tomato sauce, diced rotell tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, and some tobasco for that final kick.

In a bowl with some Frito's and some shredded cheese and topped off with some sour cream. Was going to add some Bush's baked beans, but my died in the wool Texas raised wife said NO! Any way it was delicious, spicy, and had a big bowl of it left over for more of it later in the week. Went along great with the cold weather and the dusting of snow we had today. ( This old southern boy don't like cold weather or snow! ) Thanks to Tyler for the Idea of chili time!

Omar

I'm sorry. I just would make my own from scratch.

You don't need packets of anything when you have the brethren.

Cheers!

Bill

I'm sorry. I just would make my own from scratch.

You don't need packets of anything when you have the brethren.

Cheers!

Bill

Apology accepted. Thank you

And I have the Mexene, Gebharts, Cumin etc to blend my own. Of all the things in the culinary world that are pre packaged processed etc, I think Chili seasonings do a damn fine job.

Use some of each. That way when it is good you'll never be able to duplicate it.

Don't ask me how I know... :tsk:

LOL.... I'm in the same boat, but now I try to remember to take notes when i experiment...

I also use a combination of Gephardt's, Fowler's, and Shelby's.... I used to make my own, but they do such a great job of blending that it saves me a lot of time and expense to use a pre-blended product. I'll have to look for SuckleBusters next time...

The Sucklebusters is so good that my horrid cook of a younger brother made some for a family get together and I actually saw my mother TRY and CONTINUE to eat the chili dish that he brought.

If that's not a endorsement I don't know what is. Because in the 35 years he's been on this planet THAT is the only time that has happened.:heh::heh:

The Sucklebusters is so good that my horrid cook of a younger brother made some for a family get together and I actually saw my mother TRY and CONTINUE to eat the chili dish that he brought.

If that's not a endorsement I don't know what is. Because in the 35 years he's been on this planet THAT is the only time that has happened.:heh::heh:

Leaning towards Sucklebusters with a Ron L twist

I take a little different approach I start with Pods Gjuillio, Passia, Chili de arbols & Pequins, Cumino seed,all toasted and soaked, Charred onion Garlic,and 1 Roma tomato all into the blender with the soaking water and processed to a silky slurry. This is supplemented with some New Mexican chili powder.

Most of the players are in the lineup. Not pictured are garlic, green chile, Hungarian paprika. seared sirloin in a strip of bacon seasoned with Saltgrass and Coopers. Removed and Ninja'd the steak into less than burger. And added to burger. I'm drinking Guiness and bride is wanting Fritos for a Frito pie.

Last edited:
Most of the players are in the lineup. Not pictured are garlic, green chile, Hungarian paprika. seared sirloin in a strip of bacon seasoned with Saltgrass and Coopers. Removed and Ninja'd the steak into less than burger. And added to burger. I'm drinking Guiness and bride is wanting Fritos for a Frito pie.

It's lookin' good Adams! Going to taste great when the snow storm hits!

Back