What does San Antonio have to offer?

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Headed to San Antonio in March for a business trip. Not sure yet if I will have free time or a car but thought I should get advice on Good Q or places to go.

Thanks
SD

Kreuz BBQ is about 60 miles out. I've seen them on TV before as well and always wanted to check them out. Just learned today while searching for a BBQ joint in Dallas that Lockhart Smokehouse gets their sausage from them.

There is Mi Tierra Mexican restaurant in the Mexican Market that is good. There were two in the market and they were owned by the same family. I don't know if the other is still there. As mentioned Lockhart is about an hour away and City Market in Luling is a bit closer. There's also Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner good for a short tour and light taste testing.

If you're into history there is the San Antonio Mission Tour and of course the Alamo.

San Antonio is known for it's great Tex-Mex food, not really a BBQ paradise. There are also many great steak houses as you are in the middle of beef country.

If you are going to the Air Force Base avoid the bbq place there. I went there once and we left without even eating half of our food, it's really bad.... I've been by there a few times just to see if anything has changed, sadly it hasn't. I guess they do well because they have a captive audience of trainees who cannot leave the base.

For Lunch I would Suggest
Congers Smoke Shack
347 Nacogdoches Road
They are only open from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM or until they are sold out.
it's just off the south inner-loop under the highway. It's a trailer with a couple picnic tables with great food. I have eaten at this location several times, but have never tried the second location. NOTE: If you want your brisket without sauce, you have to order it that way. They also add feta cheese to the coleslaw.

Another good place is
Rudy's
15560 Interstate 35 Frontage Rd
Near Live Oak, TX but still part of San Antonio. The food here is good, not outstanding, but good. I have eaten at both locations and there is an obvious difference between them, this is the better one.

If you have an extra day and want to visit the greats, I would suggest renting a car and traveling to Lockhart, TX and visiting Kreuz Market, Smitty's Market, and Blacks. Or you could also travel to Austin and hope you get in early enough for Franklin Barbecue, or John Mueller.

But my all time favorite was Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood (slightly closer than Lockhart).

Hope this is some help to you....

Added: There is also a few good places in New Braunfels, Cooper comes to mind, but it was many years ago since i have been to New Braunfels.

Last edited:
Rudy's is a small chain, but pretty good and consistent. There re a couple of others that are good, but I honetly can't remember their names right now. I'll get back to you.

Mi Tierra, as stated above, is a go to place for TexMex and is located in a old fashioned marketplace.

If you need a ride, let me know. Maybe my wife and I can get you around. I don't drive anymore, since I'm in a wheelchair, but our van can hold ya. The church I am temporarily serving is close to Luling, so if you have time for a trek out there, we can possibly do that.

And, as someone said, we have food steak houses. Or did. I haven't been out to one since I've been out of the hospital, but bet they still rock.

I wish I could offer to host you at our home, but that is hit or miss, depending on schedules, and how I'm feeling...

Rudys is where we EAT Q in SA but only after we had our fill of the best TX MEX in Texas.

I always eat the TX MEX at Casa Rio on the Riverwalk since 1946.

Rudys is where we EAT Q in SA but only after we had our fill of the best TX MEX in Texas.

I always eat the TX MEX at Casa Rio on the Riverwalk since 1946.

I like Casa Rio and also La Fonda on North Main. It's been too long since I've been back and I really miss the food :cry: I remember when there was no real river walk before the Worlds Fair... Great city and many fond memories of my summers down there with my family!

I hear there is a rocking Lutheran service there, with a fabulous preacher man. Just don't get him started talking about his ribs.

or Horus

I'll be there next week. Business deal requires I take a shuttle bus so I will have to stick close by. Only options to venture away from the group is Monday night and Thursday night. Hotel diner on Tuesday and Rosarios on Wednesday

Rosario's is good, sometimes really noisy, but food is good. Mi Tierra has a good breakfast menu, but if you're looking for traditional fajitas, or other grilled food La Margarita is the sister restaurant to Mi Tierra and very good fajitas. Both are close to each other in Market Square (El Mercado). King William district, which is where Rosario's is, has another really good place and that's Tito's, a couple of blocks past Rosario's on S. Alamo St

Thanks everyone. We are Hotel Contessa so will look for places close by.

Ive never been to San Antonio so not sure market square is

Thanks guys!

Will have to hit the Market square. The group wanted something quickm when we got here so went to Zinc. The Lamb burger was very good!

Back