Atlanta end of Feb

ButchersBestQ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Wedding March 1st, in Atlanta, flying in Feb 23, so have time for a road trip
N.C. & S.C. In search of pig perfection.
Where should I go, Stay away from, don't miss?

Thanks
C

I really like Fox Brothers in Atlanta. They actually catered for my buddy's wedding, and then I've been there one other time.

In terms of NC - I'm not sure where you're going to be, but my favorite Eastern NC barbecue is from Wilbur's BBQ in Goldsboro. In the Triangle area, I enjoy Clyde Coopers. In Durham, you can get some pretty solid brisket at the Q-Shack.

In Atlanta:

Fox Brothers for Brisket.
Community Q for Sausage
Heirloom Market for Pork (Also, lots of cool fusion BBQ. The Pitmaster's wife is a trained Korean Chef, so they have very unique dishes as well as traditional bbq)

Most of the places you need to hit in NC and SC are several hours away. I say stay in state or thereabouts and use your time to experience the joints and people close by.

NOW, that doesn't mean I wouldn't suggest taking a four hour drive up here to Asheville and sample our slice of crazy! But, I wouldn't come for BBQ alone because that sends you at minimum mid state and that is another 3.5 hours one way minimum.

Bub-Ba-Q

I've had Bub-Ba-Q cater several business functions and the food & service are awesome. Bubba is a competition cook who has restaurants in Woodstock and Jasper, north of ATL.

Highly Recommend.

Eric

If you want a road trip. Head north to the Dillard House for homestyle fried chicken. Its in the mountains of NE GA. In around 10 minutes, you can be in NC and SC. Well worth the trip.

Fox Bros is my favorite BBQ here in Atlanta...Texas style. I've only had the ribs, brisket and chicken but have enjoyed all three every time..

Community Q is good as well.

Another good one is Greater Good in Tucker. It's a newer spot, but they have some pretty good que..

Thanks for the suggestions, will most likely try all the ones in Atlanta.

Moved our arrival date up to the 18th so will have more time to travel.

I am a pork smoker, not much for beef, so, if you had one last chance to go to the best original style pig place, where would you go?

Overnight trips are really what I am looking for. I am going to a cousins wedding, with my wife and twin daughters, they will not even know I was gone, and there is not much I can add to the Wedding madness.

In search of Pig Perfection
C
Butchers Best Q

I'd head up to "Clyde Cooper's" in Raleigh via I-85 from Atlanta, stopping "Bucky's BBQ" in Greenville, SC on the way through SC, then stop at "Lexington BBQ" in Lexington, NC, then on to Raleigh. Return to Atlanta via I-85 to Charlotte, I-77 to Columbia, SC, and I-20 back to Atlanta, stopping at "Mac's Speed Shop BBQ" in Charlotte, "Maurice's Piggy Park" in Columbia, SC, and "Sconyer's Bar-B-Que" in Augusta, GA.
This will provide you with a gracous plenty GOOD barbecue with plenty of opportunity to try MANY different types of regional sauces:

South Carolina mustard sauce - Bucky's & Maurice's
South Carolina thick red sauce - Bucky's
South Carolina vinegar sauce - Bucky's
North Carolina thin red sauce - Lexington & Mac's Speed Shop
North Carolina vinegar pepper sauce - Clyde Cooper's
Georgia thick red sauce - hot or mild - Sconyer's

Maurice's is an experience in itself! May not be politically correct for ALL, but culturally significant for "southern" barbecue!!!

Just a thought! Whatever you do and wherever you go I'm sure you will have some good stuff and enjoy the experience!!!

bbq.tom just about nailed it.

I'll add Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC and Scotts in Hemingway SC(plan on take-out as it's just a store more or less). Also, you can order a half pig at Scotts!!

I'll add Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC and Scotts in Hemingway SC(plan on take-out as it's just a store more or less). Also, you can order a half pig at Scotts!!

I didn't mention Skylight Inn as it is definitely out of the way. There are MANY Q-joints that are worth the trip in NC, but I tried to loop in just a few.

Back