Your best and worst BBQ purchases.

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
What are the best and worst bbq equipment purchases you've ever made? Let's have some fun with this.

My best purchase by far is the Pit Barrel Cooker. Super easy to use and food comes out great every time.

My worst was a cheap instant read thermometer that took for ever to get up to temp and was far from accurate.

My best purchase was my 55 gal drum that I turned into my uds.

Haven't had a worst purchase, yet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My best wasn’t even a purchase.....it was a throw away gift....my mother in laws house was cut in two by a pine tree blown by that Witch from Hell called Katrina. It also crushed the legs and bent the top of her weber kettle. She didn’t want it cause “it didn’t look right” with all the damage. I put short pipes in for the legs and cooked on it for 10 more years till the top rusted out from the dent.......my worse was a bubba keg, simply because I prefer a kettle......

Edit....I refute my statement....Best was getting turned on and reading this wonderful site........worst thing and most expensive mistake was about 30 yrs ago buying an infrared grill....even with price break very expensive......total F.U. on my part...but hey “mistakes were made”.....

Last edited:
My worst purchase was a COS... I was in a hurry to start smoking and didn't want to spend a thousand dollars on a smoker.

My best purchase was after suffering for a year with a hard to manage firebox with mediocre cooks at best, I finally sat down and did some research, and bought the smoker that perfectly fit my needs and the money was well spent.

Moral of the story.... research before you buy.

Best: My Shirley

Worst: Blackstone griddle. i just do not enjoy using it at all. i thought i would. :mmph: ever since then i have been a little hesitant to jump on something just because everyone else loves it.

Best would be a toss up between the Weber kettle and WSM.

Worst would be a cheap iChef probe that lasted 4 cooks before I had to toss it.

Best Hunsaker Drum Smoker, love this cooker.

Worst Teflon Grill Mats, used one time and that was that. :doh:

I also had a MES once but that was a X-mas present so it doesn't count. :p

Best BBQ Purchase: Parts to build my drum
Best Honorable Mention: If we are including grilling, nothing has improved my cooking more than my Thermapen.

Worst: High temp gloves. Never use them. I use cotton throw-away gloves and cover them with latex gloves if I’m going to touch food.
Worst Honorable Mention: Thermoworks Timestick. Had 2 crap out on me. Totally unreliable and reliability is the key feature for timer.

Best: Franklins BBQ Smoking Meat Manifesto

Worst: bought a sixer of sweet botique beer. Nasty- fed it to the dandelions and drank tea until noon.

Caveat on Best: bludawg was preaching it before the sermon was penned.

Best : Chargrill Trailer from Johnson Smokers (offset smoker)

Worst : Maverick 732 ---> Piece of crud never worked properly, even after replacing probes. Just a waste of money.

Worst - Honorable Mention : Charbroil Chimney Starter (wide base) - damned thing rusted out on me after one use.

Back