• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

do you use lighter fluid?

Do you use lighter fluid?

• Total voters

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
i was watching an old pitmasters show on television and i saw the woodchicks lady get accused of using lighter fluid when she didn't (but she was using someone else's eggs who may have used it?) and i saw myron (mixon) squirt hella lighter fluid on that same show (and later shows as well), but was not accused of using lighter fluid.

none of that really matters, but it did prompt me to wonder how many brethren use lighter fluid and if they do, what type of rig do they use it in?

seems likely the person that owned the eggs that the woodchicks lady used must have used lighter fluid in them previously which makes me wonder if lighter fluid ever really burns away, or does it stick?

Not me... just matchlight. :behindsofa::bolt:

Just kidding!

A weedburner or a chimney only.

[Did see that episode... it was the original owner who used the fluid... a residual scent/flavor that carried over.]

first choice should be....

i use lighter fluid

sorry. hoping to get that option changed.

cheers.

Only time I use lighter fluid is to get my outdoor fireplace going on a cold winter day...but I don't bring that stuff anywhere near my cookers.

I use starter fluid to light up the stuff in my chimney. It burns in the chimney long enough to get all of the fluid out with no odors or aftertaste left behind. I put half of what I need in the chimney and pour on some starter fluid and light it up and then put in the rest of what i need in the chimney.

Lighter fluid! :mad2:
Lighter fluid? :hand:
We don't need no stinkin' lighter fluid!!!!:loco:

I roll up newspaper, pour a little veggie oil on it, form it into a ring and stuff it in the bottom of the chimney. The hole in the middle helps the draught and gets the charcoal going pretty quickly.

When I first started out grilling on a charcoal cooker, I always used lighter fluid. That is because that's how my pops did it, and that's all I knew. Then I discovered the chimney. Wow, it's awesome. Just load it up with charcoal, shove a couple of newspaper pages under it, and light it up. Once the newspaper burns up, the charcoal is well on it's way to a red hot glow. The only gripe I have with this method is the newspaper ash flying all over the place. So now I put the chimney in my outdoor fire place. It contains the ash pretty well.

Myron use almost a quart on his pit, then burns it for an hour adding the green peachwood about 30 minutes into it. Once the coals are gray, he then puts his meat on. Maybe the green wood cancels out the petrochemical taste??

No use for it. I dont think it's illegal to start a fire with it in a comp, and I've smelled it in the air at a few, but don't use it. They gave us a bottle up at Kingsford and I gave it to a buddy to start his fires in his firepit

hardware cloth spark arrestor

The only gripe I have with this method is the newspaper ash flying all over the place. So now I put the chimney in my outdoor fire place. It contains the ash pretty well.

I built a 1/8" square mesh hardware cloth cylinder and cap that sits over the chimney when the paper is burning = no blowing embers. I also found that forming the paper into a ring and using veggie oil creates less ash.

I did a long time ago, didnt know any better. Now all I use is my Weber chimneys

Sometimes creosote (soot) can taste a lot like lighter fluid. Creosote is partially burned volatile organic hydrocarbons - much like where lighter fluid taste comes from.

So, if a fire was almost snuffed out . . . it could deposit creosote on food and taste similar to lighter fluid, but not actually be, exactly, lighter fluid.

But no, I never use lighter fluid any more. I light my chimneys with a paper towel soaked with cheap vegetable oil. It starts just fine and the paper towel burns more completely with less fly away ash than newspaper.

I built a 1/8" square mesh hardware cloth cylinder and cap that sits over the chimney when the paper is burning = no blowing embers. I also found that forming the paper into a ring and using veggie oil creates less ash.
I finally found a use for my ECB as a stand for my chimney starter. Just set it on the grate and the ashes fall into the pan below. No lighter fluid here.

i'm using a mapp torch to light my lump, but i've found a nice application for the chimney i received as a gift.....

art003ah5.jpg

Back