commercial rubs

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Are there any commercial rubs that have free shipping? Its hard to spend 12$ for a small bottle of rub. I wouldnt mind trying some commercial rubs since utah doesnt have any commercial rubs. Except one and that is from T himself.

thanx

Why would you buy a rub when there so easy to make? I started with a basic recipe and added and removed as I went along. Always write down as you go though.

Are there any commercial rubs that have free shipping? Its hard to spend 12$ for a small bottle of rub. I wouldnt mind trying some commercial rubs since utah doesnt have any commercial rubs. Except one and that is from T himself.

thanx

Figure out which rubs you want to buy regularly and have your local grocery manager stock them. Or find a local specialty foods store that carries different "gourmet" items and ask them to stock a few BBQ rubs and sauces. You'll get a better price than having everything shipped.

Rubs are easy to make, but not easy to perfect... just like anything.

Why would you buy a rub when there so easy to make? I started with a basic recipe and added and removed as I went along. Always write down as you go though.
I want to try commercial one because the last 3 racks of ribs i used homemade rubs on all turned out nasty. Im going to cook some BB with just a lil salt and ground black pepper. Basically nude with hickory and cook till done. I gotta see if its the rubs that i dont like or what. My pulled pork even tasted nasty that i threw it away to the cats. I didnt smoke it on the UDS. it was on the kettle.

We have a gourmet shop here but all they have is char crust/char dust and famous daves along with bone suckin sauce rib rub.

How about hooking up with another Brethren or two & buying a larger amount together? A lot of times the shipping charges for 3 or 4 bottles isn't much more than for 1 bottle.

Personally I would run by T's and get some, I've gotten to try some of his rubs and they are delicious.

How about hooking up with another Brethren or two & buying a larger amount together? A lot of times the shipping charges for 3 or 4 bottles isn't much more than for 1 bottle.
how large of an amount we talkin bout

I get Head Country rub shipped to me with some of their sauce. I want to say the shipping wasn't an arm and a leg...maybe just a leg.

As a "for-instance": I use a rub on my ABTs & as a base for my pig candy mix. They have a set price per piece rate on shipping. One 4 ounce bottle of rub costs X amount of $ for shipping. One 32 ounce bottle costs X amount of $ to ship. Two 32 ounce bottles costs 2X $ (twice as much as one 32 oz.) BUT- one case of six 32 ounce bottles costs X $ or just as much shipping charge as for one bottle of any size! And Glove Nation last year had a sale where 2 cases of gloves cost the same to ship as one case.
Most shipping companies have various "flat rate" or "minimum charge" fees where you're going to pay the same for any shipment up to a certain weight, so if you can get a larger order together you can ask for (and maybe get) a big break on the shipping charges.

I've started buying commercial since I can usually get a rub that I like much cheaper than I can make it myself. When you consider buying all the fresh spices etc.. it just makes sense to me. I still have a couple of rubs that I make myself, but most of what I use these days come from a couple of other sources.

These two make some excellent rubs and the shipping is not bad at all...

http://www.sucklebusters.com/
http://www.texasbbqrub.com/

with the price of spices what they are most commercial rubs are a good deal IMO..

One shaker of Plowboys would cost about $8 to ship to you. Using a flat rate box, i could ship you 10 lbs for about $10.

Just sayin. :biggrin:

Yep. The shipping thief makes it difficult to order online.

Some of the specialty stores will carry various BBQ rubs. Seems there is a knife store nearby that carries some things. The sporting good store has a few things, too. I think I've seen a few things at those chilli pepper/hot sauce stores, too.

In the end i find myself trying to pick up a few things when i go to BBQ events and/or simply using the store bought stuff (i tried making my own a couple times with very limited success...so i threw in the towel).

Back