• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

bought my first butt...help needed

So 275-300F will get me all done with a juicy final result? No need to go low 200's?

Definitely. There are a ton of threads about this around here if you want to see some discussion about it. Just search for "hot and fast."

Also, here's my basic rub for pork butt:

3 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dry mustard

Starting my cook friday morning so washed, patted dry, let sit for a few min then rubbed all sides with a few drops of evoo and some yellow mustard. The rub was one i made up. Kosher Salt, fresh ground black pepper, granulated garlic, minced onion, paprika and i think that was it.

It is currently in the fridge wrapped in cling wrap. Gonna start friday at 6am and if i finish too soon it will stay resting in a cooler, if i take too long, we'll have a later than normal dinner.

20130227_163451_zps504d8fd8.jpg

20130227_163414_zpsa6334184.jpg

Instead of starting a new thread for "during the cook" questions, ill just put them on this thread. Everyone has been so amazing to offer assistance. I think the route i am going to take is 275° til IT reaches 195° and then ill probe for tenderness and wrap in foil/bath towel and put in my cooler from 60-90 min til dinner time.

Quick question, when i searched the forums for hot and fast, there were some comments about not probing until IT reached 205-210. Seemed high, what u guys think?

I just probe when its around the 195 mark. I think its easier to undercook the pork butt rather than over cook it. I would cook it at 275 or 300.

Cooked my 1st butt this last super bowl. I was surprised it got to 155 degrees in ~5 hours. I was worried it would get to 195 too early but it stalled like I was told. After I wrapped w/ foil@ 160, it slowly but surely got up to temp. I saved some of the drippings, mixed w/ BBQ sauce...it was excellent.

once I have my WSM settled in at 225 I go to bed and forget about it. When I get up in the morn. my temp is normally close to were I left it, but it has been as low as 180 or as high as 300. No worries just readjust the vents and go about my morning. I'd rather be done early than late, You can wrap and rest a long time

Cooked my 1st butt this last super bowl. I was surprised it got to 155 degrees in ~5 hours. I was worried it would get to 195 too early but it stalled like I was told. After I wrapped w/ foil@ 160, it slowly but surely got up to temp. I saved some of the drippings, mixed w/ BBQ sauce...it was excellent.

So i CAN wrap in foil? Awesome. So new plan. Build bark up until 160°F and the wrap in foil with probe until IT reaches 195+.

I do not wrap butts, never saw the point. If you must, then you must.

I happen to not probe pork, there are too many fat veins and pockets for that method to work reliably. I prefer to use the wiggle the bone method. If I am running the cook at 285F, I will wait until 6 hours have passed, or the internal thermometer (if you use one) reads around 185F to 190F, I will grab the bone, if it wiggles loosely, then I pull it. It is feels very tight, then I won't check again for two hours. If it wiggles a little, than I check in an hour.

Cooked at 300F for 7 hours, unwrapped, I happen to know it was 200F IT only because I was cooking on my BIL's cooker and he insisted I use temperature...this one was boneless...
P1010647.jpg

Noob if ya cook it at 300 you will not experience a stall. Therefore you have no need to warp getting more tasty bark in the process. Forget the temp on the meat when the bone wiggles lose its ready to come off the pit. Some butts will get done at 185( very rare but it dose happen) most are closer to 205.the bone knows when it is ready it never fails.

Noob..........cook it..............get it to probe tender..........rest it..........pull it ............EAT.......you need a drink and to relax............way to much over thinking.

Still new to this myself but I thought I remember reading that applying a rub with salt too far in advance can cause a ham-like taste/curing? Out of fear I've just added my rub an hour or so before the meat goes on. Can someone confirm this one way or another? In any case I'm looking forward to Noob's pron. I love some juicy butt pictures!

Noob..........cook it..............get it to probe tender..........rest it..........pull it ............EAT.......you need a drink and to relax............way to much over thinking.
"This". ^^^^ :clap2:

I rub my butts, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap, and put them in the fridge over night. There's no sceince behind why I do this, I just do. I've done it many times and there's no "ham" thing going on.
Maybe if your rub has a high concentration of salt, it might begin to cure it, but my rub is just spices and a light touch of salt.

Back