• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Weber grates in UDS

bassandbeer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone else have the problem of the grates bending under the weight of a couple butts? I know I've been cooking on it all this year, but I think I need to replace them already. Just wondering.

Yikes. Can you flip the grates over? Weber grates are a little expensive to be replacing quickly. I haven't had any problems with my cheap grates from Academy.

I used the Weber grate with the flip up sides (don't know if it is heavier-duty than the others or not). It hasn't changed at all, except it's seasoned much better now. Been using it for about 1 year.

The flip up OTG grates seem to hold up better. That is what I'm currently using, and I've had multiple butts on one grate without any issues.

I use the Webber flip up grates in my UDS and still have the original one that I bought over 2 years ago. Other than the obvious burnt on residue, it is still as sturdy as it was when new.

Have a Blessed day!

Omar

Like guys posting above me, I have the flip up grates an not a problem.

My flip up grates are probably 20 yrs old, still holding up. The non-flip up which are 4 yrs old are holding up as well. Butt then, I rarely load more than 10 lbs of meat on them.

I have flip up grates and under one 9lb brisket it tweaked like a taco chip.

When I took the brisket off and let the thing cool I noticed it was really wobbly on the bolts and thought something had come loose... the grate was twisted and bowed.

This morning after it cooled and sat it's nice and flat again.

I bought Weber brand grates for mine, no flip-up, and they are lighter weight than the flip-ups. Actually, of the two I bought, one is lighter than the other. I have seen post here about stainless Weber grates. I might look into those one day.

Maybe I'll have to try the flip up ones. Sounds like they may be heavier duty. Also, and I should have mentioned this, I have 3 posts holding up each grate (to eliminate wobble), and that may be contributing to it as well.

Just like the kettle, I use 4 tabs/bolts to hold the grate. There may be a little wobble, if any, with 4 tabs but when you load it meat there will be no wobble.

I have used the same, $18.00 standard Weber replacement grates in my UDS since I built it over five years ago. I've cooked multiple comps in it loading it with over 13# of brisket on one grate and over 16# of butts on the other.

Still straight, strong and rocking.
10289928_10203885242321407_2822614715965707265_n.jpg

I use 4 carriage bolts on each grate as legs to stack my grates like N8man. Also makes it easier to rotate racks and remove.

The replacements, especially the flip up, seem to be heavier than the grates that come on a kettle from the factory.

I use the flip up. My local Lowes sells them $19.99

Maybe I'll have to try the flip up ones. Sounds like they may be heavier duty. Also, and I should have mentioned this, I have 3 posts holding up each grate (to eliminate wobble), and that may be contributing to it as well.

I have 3 bolts holding mine and no problems.

Back