• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hatch Green Chile- hoarding has begun

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
15# hot. These are very warm, but enjoyable
As the roasted chile flavor still comes through nicely. Lips
And gums somewhat numb for about 30 minutes, heat was intense but not throat choking. Meaty peppers. A very good year

Last edited:
I didn't think the Hatch Chilis were suppose to be hot. I was going to try some with some recipes this year, but I guess I need to be careful with the family meals.

I've never seen a roaster/vendor yet that won't allow you to sample. I've bought chiles that had less heat than a marshmallow and I've bought chiles that I could barely stay in the car with for the trip home. Most vendors know their peppers and classify correctly. But every now and then the peps jump boxes.

I buy mild ones cause I'm a wuss. Love Hatch chilies! Nice looking haul Adams!

Do you freeze them? What do you do with your haul?

Do you freeze them? What do you do with your haul?

Yes they freeze well. Literally anything you cook can be enhanced with roasted green chile. Besides the obvious green chile cheeseburger our favorite is to fry up the chiles like catfish filets and then layer a meat, a queso etc. Honestly, any meal anytime just add a line to the ingredient list that says "green chile"

Last edited:
They just hit the produce markets here in Tampa Bay. I think I will buy some and cook some corn pudding this weekend.

I buy mild ones cause I'm a wuss. Love Hatch chilies! Nice looking haul Adams!

Wuss??? I think not. I remember your lever action post from a hunting season past. Wuss- no freak'n way- nice try cowgirl.

Let's go with sensitive palate ;-))

They just hit the produce markets here in Tampa Bay. I think I will buy some and cook some corn pudding this weekend.

Hell Yea- we're only limited by our imagination, right??

Wuss??? I think not. I remember your lever action post from a hunting season past. Wuss- no freak'n way- nice try cowgirl.

Let's go with sensitive palate ;-))

:laugh: My lever action 30-30. Love that thing!
Thanks Adams, "sensitive palate" sounds better. :becky:

How much is everyone paying for hatch chillies?

I just picked some up today at Albertsons for 88 cents a pound. Seems like a good price. I'll probably end up buying more soon and get some use out of the foodsaver.

Do you peel the skin off and seed them before you freeze them?

Yes and no. Mostly no. They freeze really well with the charred skin, and it peels off easily when thawed. Easier to "clean up" 8-12 peppers than 140-160.

To the poster asking about price. I gave the roaster a 20$ if they are meaty peppers they are worth twice that. So I'm guessing 1-1.25 per lb. I hear stories of 50cent per lb, but I've never seen that in Amarillo

Love hatch chiles. Does anyone have a good green chile recipe? The restaurants here have unbelievable green chile, but I can't seem to replicate it when I try.

I bought ten pounds today, the bin was labelled Medium Hot, on the left. Then labelled Mild in the middle, then Mild-Hot on the right :wacko:. Note that there was one bin :roll:

I bought the best looking ones of the bunch, but...I have no idea what I bought...and if Mild-Hot is correct, I don't understand anymore

Love hatch chiles. Does anyone have a good green chile recipe? The restaurants here have unbelievable green chile, but I can't seem to replicate it when I try.
Do you mean Chile Verde? The pork stew with green chiles sauce?

I can't wait till they start selling them around here. Last year I bought a case of them and I just used the last of them up in my last batch of chili.

Back