Maiden Voyage

BigBobBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Going to be putting my new to me vertical offset on her maiden voyage a little later this morning with three slabs of spare ribs for a small get together, and see how she performs. I have always wanted a vertical and now that I was able to find one I can't wait to get smoking. I am going to use oak wood for heat and then some cherry to add flavor throughout the cook. I will let you guys know how things turn out and post some pictures as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 377
Best of luck to ya! Keep a nice, small, clean fire and you will be happy!

Yeah, that looks like a nice little vertical you got there. Got to think you can turn out some nice ribs on it. Post up pics!

**Updated**

Here is the update on my maiden voyage. I had to fight her at first to get temps right but we finally worked it out and she hummed along between 225-250 for the whole cook once I got her there. This pic is my spares all trimmed up, seasoned and ready to go on the smoker. I kept this one simple I used a medium coat of Everglades seasoning, a light dust of chili powder, and a medium coat of Sonnys mesquite bbq rub a friend bought for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 290
Updated

This picture is one I was lucky enough to get off of the top rack of the smoker. I brought the bottom rack in and by the time I went back out and got the top they hammered the ones I brought in before I could snap a picture of them. The top rack got a little darker than I wanted but I didn't foil them, I just let them ride it out. I guess they were a hit because all that was left of 3 full slabs was a pile of bones.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 291
First off, GREAT JOB on everything!!! Both the BBQ and the cook look great! Second question, what gauge steel did you use for the box and the smoker portion. Looks like a welding project I would like to try!

just because it was a vertical and not really large, the cooking chamber is only 16" square it is made out of 1/8 steel, I know it is not super heavy duty but it holds heat very well. It comes up to temp and I only have to add a split every 30-45 minutes to keep it steady.

I like it. I run a cake pan water pan in the bottom of my cook chamber and it helps even out temps.

Nice looking bones and vertical smoker . Enjoy the fruits of Your labor .

I am going to make a heat deflector to balance out the temps as well. It gets a bit hotter right up the inside wall at the firebox. I just have to put on my thinking cap and figure out just how I want to make it so that it works properly.

I'm jealous, I've been scouring CL for a long time looking for a smoker like yours on the cheap. Nothing yet. Ribs look farking delicious!

I know they are hard to find. I have been looking for several weeks and had seen many offsets but no verticals. I just happen to check and he had just posted it for sale. I sent him a message asap and we discussed a price, since he had cut out the intake damper so I would have to build a new one to fit it and it was an hour drive one way and I picked it up the following day after looking it over for $150 which I think was a good price.

SJ yours looks a lot like mine, and what you have for your intake damper is almost exactly what I did to mine. I just don't have as fancy of a handle and I bolted my tracks on to my firebox. I will have to get a picture of my frankensteined work...lol

Back