I'm rusty! Simi live cook on vertical offset!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
No, My name is not Rusty! My skills are rusty. Holy cow what a morning. It's been in the 30-40's this morning. Took a little while to get a fire going. Temps are all over the place in the cooker. Finally got all the food on Figured I'd make this a come back live thread.

How have you guys been doin? Have a good thanksgiving? Today I'm cooking two pork butts 18lbs worth. a 13lb brisket, two chickens and two racks of baby back ribs.

Can't find but two oven thermometers but I have a feeling my temp on the top right side where the pork butts are is pretty cool compared to the rest of the cooker. Pork butts are still pretty cool after being on a hour. Maybe that's normal. I could only fit a temp gauge between the brisket and pork butts. it was reading the temps I'm wanting but still doesn't seem right.

Anyways, I forgot how intense prep work and getting things going were. Prepping brisket annoys me LOL.

Here's what the smoker looks like right now!

20161202_115820_zpsouiwlmdj.jpg

Seems to be pretty good. On the ribs, pork butts and one chicken I have Weber Smoking dry BBQ Rub. I'm real surprised by the flavor of the rub. Its pretty good. The other chicken and the Brisket is seasoned with SPOG.

Glad to be back! I'm excited now that I got a chance to sit down and chill. Also might wanna add the chicken was put on right before this picture was taken. everything else has had 1 hour in the cooker

On the ribs, pork butts and one chicken I have Weber Smoking dry BBQ Rub. I'm real surprised by the flavor of the rub. Its pretty good.

Agreed. Got some on a whim while walking through the grocery store and was surprised how much flavor it brought.

Cook looks great. So much for easing back into it :shocked:

Now, THAT's the way to get back in the saddle. :-D

Might as well go big or go home! I'm waiting for disaster to strike!! Not sure which it'll be. Over cooked ribs or my pork butt takes 20 hrs to cook LOL. Once the ribs come off the cooker the pork butts are dropping down a grate. so Its no biggy

Man either my thermopop is wrong, or my cooker is cooking extremely hot. It's been 3 hours. and my brisket is probing 160???? HOLY COW!! one rack of ribs are done already. chickens almost done!! How is this possible?!!!!! I'm gonna use my other thermopop next time I check the brisket!!

Anyways pictures!!

here's the brisket! Like I said 3 hours and I'm already hitting 160ish IT.... so weird!!
20161202_135147_zpsparedsud.jpg

Here's the whole shot!! Looking sooooooo good. I'm still puzzled on the fast cook time. The rack of ribs in the middle is the one that was finished. The left side of the cooker must be screaming hot!

20161202_135152_zpsheey5976.jpg

That all looks great! Just like riding a bicycle. :thumb:

Who said your rusty?

Good looking food!

Who said your rusty?

I said from the start I wasn't Rusty, my name is Brandon! HAHA!!

Fastest brisket, Clocked in at 6 hours. 13lber. I have no idea what temp any of the meat was running. I was just winging it the entire way!!

The whole house smells like Cherry smoke and BBQ. Miss that smell!

I'll add brisket slice pics and pulled pork later after the pulled pork is done.

Thanks everyone who replied! Excited to be back. If I disappear again someone shoot me a PM LOL

20161202_170526_zps1gkhz3lc.jpg

Looks mighty fine. I enjoy your posts, and often wonder -
Are you feeding an Army?
Keep it coming!!!!!

Looks mighty fine. I enjoy your posts, and often wonder -
Are you feeding an Army?
Keep it coming!!!!!

haha no, I have a family of 4 and most of the time Its 2 out of the 4 that eats it. I have a big smoker, if I have to use the same amount of fuel to cook one thing might as well try to load her up!

With my busy schedule right now, I'm not sure if I could make more BBQ in the next coming weeks til the first of the year. So a lot of this is going to the freezer. Plus I can eat left overs for a week. I'm not picky. hehe

Back