Prime Rib ?

LDawg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Okay I might ask a stupid question but do you smoke a prime rib with the bone on or cut it off, or do you possibly cut it off and tie it back on, ?

I'm sure this will be like a "fat up or fat down" kinda question. :D

I do mine with the bone on.

bajatom4934

I've done them both ways. You can buy boneless rib roasts. You can buy Rib roasts with the ribs intact. A lot of people cut the ribs down to the chine bone in order to get their seasonings on the inside of the meat. Some will cut the entire ribs from the meat season and then tie the ribs back on for cooking purpose and ease for carving. Most people will tell you cooking the meat with the bone on results in better flavor. The cooked bones are great for knawing on. There just like doing beef ribs. Unless you have a personal butcher you will not find many rib roasts with a fat cap. That cut comes into the meat shops like Sams, Cosco, and most Grocery chains already cut and cryovac. I'm doing 2 whole boneless rib roasts on my RecTec next week. I will post some pictures if you are interested. Good luck on your cook.

Last edited:
I always ask the butcher to cut the bones off and tie back on. I then cut the bones off at home and cook separately or freeze for later stock use. The roast will have way more bark this way when I rotiss it.

Okay I might ask a stupid question but do you smoke a prime rib with the bone on or cut it off, or do you possibly cut it off and tie it back on, ?

I keep my income levels low enough to make sure this is never an issue for me.

Personally I'd keep the bone but I'd have the butcher remove it if I was going to, simply because I've seen my knife skills around beef.

Go to Amazing Rib and read his article on prime rib. It is very useful. Looks like he has done a lot of research.

I used to smoke beef ribs low and slow with great results but I always felt that although the meat on the ribs was fun to gnaw on, it was never as smokey and flavorful as some meaty beef back ribs and was sometimes really tough. These days, I cut out the bones myself, leaving a decent amount of meat on them and smoke them like I would any other ribs. They are great! It's like brisket on a bone with less room for error because of a higher fat content. If cooked hot and fast, I think a bone in rib eye or rib roast has a better texture around the bone, if cooked lower and slower I just feel like the ribs should be taken way higher in IT.

Either way, LOW AND SLOW if you want that soft chew that a $50 prime rib serving delivers.

Inside I cook them at 170, since that's as low as the oven goes. On the BGE, I can go 150. Slowly bring to internal temp of 125, then remove, crank up heat to 550, then reverse sear it to perfection.

D - Any of the above..... Although I prefer bone-in.

@No

Well I followed GMG cooking recipe I left the bone on (my call ) turned grill up to.500 after seasoning the prime rib seared each side for 15 minutes then dropped the temp down to 190 take it to the total of around 5 hrs to reach internal temp of 130 and it was delicious, the butcher at Bashar store had to cut my prime rib so I had a nice fat cap to checker !!!
I guess I don't know how to post pics or I would ......

I guess I don't know how to post pics or I would ......

It's easy. Get a free acct at photobucket, upload there, and then once the photo is uploaded, click on it, then click the link that is marked "IMG" on the right hand side of the page (it should copy automagically.) Paste that into your post and that's it.

I am in the cut them off and tie them back on camp. Just makes it easier when you go to serve. Plus, as bajatom4934 said, you can get whatever seasoning on the cut side.

indexshare.php

Well another attempt at a pic .)

Hi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket for Samsung. Please click the link to view photos: [ame="http://share.photobucket.com/shareprofile/indexshare.php?id=MzM1MTk="]Photobucket[/ame]

Back