I am trying out my WSM 14.5 pitmaster IQ

The Weber shows 225 but the IQ is set for 250. Looks like I have a 25 degree difference.

Not surprising to me. I have the 18.5 WSM with a BBQ Cyber Q and it is running right now at 275, but the Weber shows 265. I have found that the variance is larger with lower temperatures and gets closer as you run hotter.

As soon as I posted anyway. Pics coming soon. My 6 year old has photo documented everything.

Ok, well I've added my chicken but the Iq seems reluctant to turn the fan on to heat up the wsm. its set for 250. The temp is rising but a little slower then what I think the Iq should allow. I would love to hear feed back if anyone has a pitmaster Iq.

Sure enough as soon as I hit post the fan kicked in. Seems all is looking good now.

In all fairness I have only used this Iq 3 times in last 2 last year. I really havent began to explore its potiential. Two years ago when I purchased it I also purchased my Wsm 22.5. I am not trying to be a homer for Weber but that thing is rock solid and the Pitmaster Iq wasnt even needed. Thay being said.
I opened up the second bottom vent and the Iq serms to be performing perfectly. I might need just a bit more practice with.

I love the gadgets and the fun of experimenting with the cooks. It doesn't hurt that folks like what we cook either....:cool:

I know me too. I am using it today with my chicken in prepereration for my 30lbs of butt tomorrow.

I know me too. I am using it today with my chicken in prepereration for my 30lbs of butt tomorrow.

Sweet. 30 lbs.. i am guessing going on the 22.5, or have you found a way to sandwich that much in that 14.5??? And if so, bravo sir..:clap2:

Sweet. 30 lbs.. i am guessing going on the 22.5, or have you found a way to sandwich that much in that 14.5??? And if so, bravo sir..:clap2:

The 14.5" is a work horse don't be fooled by the size of the cooker. It's one of my favorite pits. I have competed with it in the backyard comps and with a little planning it can cook a lot of meat. It's fuel efficient and can cook a lot.

The 14.5" is a work horse don't be fooled by the size of the cooker. It's one of my favorite pits. I have competed with it in the backyard comps and with a little planning it can cook a lot of meat. It's fuel efficient and can cook a lot.

I love my WSM, don't get me wrong, but that is a lot of pork, likely 4 butts. I have done 4 on my 18.5 several times, so I would think that is a bit much for the 14.5. Also, is there enough space on the fire ring to keep it going long enough for that much meat? You guys are making me want to pick one up!:thumb:

I am planning on trying the two butts on the 14.5. I love my 22.5 but I wanna see how the 14.5 does. With 30lbs.

Scratch that. I just looked one is 8lbs and and one is 9. I think the 14.5 should handle 17lbs very well.

Thats the plan Joesmoker. I am out side waiting on the smoker to get to temp now.

The Weber shows 225 but the IQ is set for 250. Looks like I have a 25 degree difference.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Before I had my WSM, I smoked ribs on my Kettle 22.5. I modded it with a great dome thermometer. I was making pretty darn good ribs on it. Then I bought the WSM and did ribs. I monitored using the lid temp and they came out fairly over done on my first cook. Still good but too much of the "fall off the bone" result. That was discouraging because I figured the WSM would do ribs better than the Kettle because it's a smoker. I had learned to monitor the lid temp on my Kettle with good results and tried to use the same method with the WSM. So I went out and got a Maverick ET733 and quickly realized that the dome thermometer was WAY off from the grid (at least 25 degrees). Now I knew why my ribs turned out over done.

I'm fairly new to smoking, but one thing that I've learned is to get a great thermometer for knowing grate temperatures. I tried to get a $30 Weber probe and it died half way through the first cook. Back to Home Depot it went. I saw Maverick had a $30 single-probe (HD32) and so I tried that. I also had issues with it on the first cook. So back it went. I finally just went on Amazon and got the 733. No regrets.

I am guilty of not having the best probes. I have a cheapo from Wm. It works well but if I slide it into a vent next to my Iq prob they are wirhin 5 degrees. The Weber lid however is usually 20 degrees off the probes.

Back