Butts wiith "The Renowned Mr. Brown" rub

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Just put 2 butts on the UDS. Trying out "The Renowned Mr. Brown" rub recipe, with a couple of extras that I like to use. 3:45 a.m. start.

Good morning and good smoking, hope all turns out the way you want it too.

Yes sir, happy smokes to you! Hope it all works out man! Looks like that rub company is right down the road from me. I will have to tour through Plant City looking for Que companies. May be able to pick up some live action tips to help mine get better.

For the rub I used the recipe in the Smoke & Spice book and made my own.

I'm not familiar with that rub. Can you tell us more about it and how it turned out?

At first I thought he was referring to Alton Brown of "Good Eats". I use a variation of one of his rubs.
Actually he's talking about this http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html and the "Mr. Brown" is what they call the bark.
Recipes are included and makes good reading.

BTW Pappy... I'm sure your cook will turn out absolutely GREAT!

Just did my first pork last weekend with the Renown Mr Brown and loved it. I thought it was heavy on the pepper but came out great. I did two 8# butts, right at about 9hrs @250, wrapped in foil for two hours and had a pullfest........stop what you are thinking right now, this is a family board:mad:

Here are a few pics of my butts. Oh well. In reverse order.

IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

We're having this tomorrow afternoon. I think I under cooked it a little. !2 hours at 225-250. I'm pretty sure my ET732 temp reading is off by about 15 degrees. Checked it with my old Taylor probe thermometer and used that on to pull and wrap at 190. Bone came out clean, meat was hard to tear apart. I'm going to warm it up in the oven in a covered foil pan at 225 for about an hour. Maybe that will help finish it a little. The ET732 had a reading of 206.

Back