UDS Smoke

tcards

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have been using my UDS smoker for a short time. I am not getting much smoke flavor. I am using pecan chunks. Usually about 6 to 7 chunks. Advise?

I would recommend getting up to temp and then adding the chunks right before you put the meat on. It may be an issue of the wood burning off too fast. Are you soaking your chunks?

Also, I have noticed that pecan is pretty mellow....you might get more flavor with hickory as SmittyJonz suggested.

I have not been soaking the chunks. Is that the norm to soak?

Don't soak the chunks. Either use more pecan or try a stronger wood like Smitty suggested.

I am usually too lazy, but a lot of people soak them to keep them from burning up too fast. I usually just wait until cook time and throw them on top of the fire basket when I put the meat on and keep the heat choked down, so they burn slow.

I use only 4-5 nice chunks.
I put them under at least one layer of briquettes.

Putting them under the briquettes keeps them from burning off so fast. It actually turns them to lump.

I burn my basket from the farthest from my air intake forward.
I only use wood for the first half ish.. I change the type of wood and or quantity of chunks for more or less smoke.

PSoaking chunks does nothing but cause Dirty smoke - soak a chunk for 48 hrs and cut it in half - water only penetrates 1/8" or so. Soaking does NOT help.

Pecan and Fruit Woods are Mild. Oak n Hickory and esp. Mesquite give stronger smoke smell/taste.

Wood burns Hotter than Charcoal so with more chunks your UDS will run Hotter - Let it within reason. I like 275*-300* for everything BBQ. I mix my chunks throughout charcoal . I could cook identical prepped meats on my UDS and my stickburner and you wouldn't be able to tell which is which with a taste test.

Last edited:
Soaking chunks does nothing but cause Dirty smoke - soak a chunk for 48 hrs and cut it in half - water only penetrates 1/8" or so. Soaking does NOT help.

Pecan and Fruit Woods are Mild. Oak n Hickory and expect Mesquite give stronger smoke smell/taste.

Wood burns Hotter than Charcoal so with more chunks your UDS will run Hotter - Let it within reason. I like 275*-300* for everything BBQ. I mix my chunks throughout charcoal . I could cook identical prepped meats on my UDS and my stickburner and you wouldn't be able to tell which is which with a taste test.

I wasn't trying to steer him down the wrong path....I was just asking if he was doing it or not.

Thanks everyone. I have used a stick burner for years using pecan and the flavor is good. I will try a few more chunks in the USD.

Like has been said, you could get away with a lot more pecan. Hickory is just right for me on pork & beef.

Back