• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wanna make MOINK balls

ve3rpm

Reaction score
the thing is, I'm starting to think that perhaps there are some spices involved. so, perhaps before I attempt the grail of all appetizers, I get a suggestion or 2. Don't hold back, I can take it. thanx Dan
Oh yea, I'll take pics.

You're gonna have to use some spices or a good glaze to cover up the taste of that frozen meatball!

How about you apply a rub to the meatballs, wrap them with pig candied bacon, and then apply a good jalapeno jelly glaze?

Last edited:
Actually, I'm using fresh never frozen hamburger to make them myself, that's why the thoughts of adding some spices.

Well I am not a certified moinkball maker so maybe I won't get in trouble for telling you this but I made my version and they were totally awesome. In a pound of ground meat I added a slightly beaten egg, some bread crumbs. garlic powder,chili powder,cumin,thyme,kosher salt, black pepper, and oregano. Probably about 1/2 teaspoon of each spice. Make about 1-1/4 inch balls and wrap with bacon and pin with toothpick. I grilled mine for 1 hour at 350 and threw in a couple nice chunks of cherry. Then I glazed them with a mixture of bbq sauce, Frank's hot sauce and honey. Put them back on the grill untill the glaze set. Maybe 15 minutes.

Thanx! I'll give that a Whirl! Hoping to pull this off tomorrow though.Started snowing a couple of hours ago and 60 kph winds.

Actually, I'm using fresh never frozen hamburger to make them myself, that's why the thoughts of adding some spices.

Being a Certified MOINK Baller, I am obliged to say the it MUST be frozen meatballs to be considered a MOINK Ball.

Being a Certified MOINK Baller, I am obliged to say the it MUST be frozen meatballs to be considered a MOINK Ball.

OK now then that is what I needed. Someone who is certified to tell me that mine cannot be called MOINK balls. I asked for a clarification when I posted about mine last week but got no replies. Thank you Mr Bacon.

Now that we have that issue behind us I believe I will call my clone of the real thing DOINK balls. Since they are made with deer meat.:biggrin:

If anyone has a problem with my doing this please speak up. I can change. I'm pretty easy.:wink:

As a certified MOINK baller I believe this to be true. Please save the quality fresh ground beef for another dish. True MOINK balls emphazie the essence of the prefrozen (cheap) meatball.

The Moinks I make are frozen. Let them thaw, roll in a rub mixture and wrap in the bacon. Most of the way thru cooking, I lightly cover with BBQ sauce. Going make some for tomorrow. I want to try several different sauces/glazes. How does honey mustard sound?

Eyeballs are not eligible as certified MOINK balls either. Nice try though.:wink:

well, I'm (sob) going to have to do them in the (whimper) oven... can't get the temp above 125. guess I'll never be a moink baller till the new year.

Attachments

• DSCI0931.jpg
    DSCI0931.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 244
VE3RPM- I'm just up the road from you and I tried my first Moinks today- in the rain!! Crazy weather we're importing from the States eh?

013.jpg

017.jpg

VE3RPM- I'm just up the road from you and I tried my first Moinks today- in the rain!! Crazy weather we're importing from the States eh?

The Moink balls are looking good, Like the cart for your drum, even the snowblower standing by just invase you need it to get to the drum (whats with the umberella), But don't blame that weather on the States, It was below freezing here in North Carolina on Sunday night (colder than in Alaska) the weatherman said it was a Canadian cold front, So I don't think we are responsible for your crazy weather. Maybe the fear coming from Detroit is warming things up and giving you ome rain but don't blame all of the states.:mrgreen:

. Maybe the fear coming from Detroit is warming things up and giving you ome rain but don't blame all of the states.:mrgreen:

Fear or Tears- either way our area is feeling the auto recession too but not as bad as Detroit.
BTW- we never blame the good weather on you guys!!!

Back