smithfield ribs from walmart

ribangel.jpg

Mod note: Fixed broken image link

up until late last year, there was a product line called Farmland "Premium Farms". They were thick, insane marbling, just fabulous. Once I had a rack so beautiful that I turned in all 10 ribs for a 5x5 box from the same rack. It would have been a crime against pork to get anything other than first with it.

http://www.farmlandfoods.com/products/premium-farms-fresh-pork

All the sudden the product vanished. My supplier's supplier could only get the Farmland Prime line (now "Smithfield"). Still awesome marbling, more consistent trim, but tighter none the less and became more difficult to find the thickness I was accustomed to.

up until late last year, there was a product line called Farmland "Premium Farms". They were thick, insane marbling, just fabulous. Once I had a rack so beautiful that I turned in all 10 ribs for a 5x5 box from the same rack. It would have been a crime against pork to get anything other than first with it.

http://www.farmlandfoods.com/products/premium-farms-fresh-pork

All the sudden the product vanished. My supplier's supplier could only get the Farmland Prime line (now "Smithfield"). Still awesome marbling, more consistent trim, but tighter none the less and became more difficult to find the thickness I was accustomed to.

The Farmland/Smithfield 'Prime' and (I think) the Farmland 'Premium Farms' fresh pork is out of the old Premium Standard Farms operation (around here in comes out of the Milan, MO facility). Because this is an integrated operation, farrow to cooler, it is very tightly controlled so there is little variation in quality. Kind of like getting all of your briskets from one set of genetics like Creekstone or SRF vs. commodity brisket. The 'Extra Tender' product around my area comes out of other Farmland facilities.

FYI, if the package says EST. No. 320M it is Milan, MO. Anything 717_ is one of the other Farmland plants.

Since when were these not first quality? That's what I want to know. Most of the enhanced ones I've bought have been better ribs than what they put in their "all natural" packaging.

Too add to that thought, my Smithfield ET ribs were so meaty this weekend that I had a very hard time getting 5/5 to fit in the box.:thumb:

They were only good enough for 2nd place this week, dang Brad/Gettin' Basted beat me out of 1st with his ET ribs.:doh::doh:

practicing on a rack of smithfield extra tender ribs from walmart today! good looking ribs. very meaty.

How do people feel about the Smithfield Extra Tender pork butts from Walmart? The price is right and if I can save a step by not having to inject sounds appealing.

Last edited:
Mn_brew,

I cooked a couple of the extra tender butts yesterday for the first time. They had nice sized money muscles and seemed to be of good quality. I didn't inject (I normally do) due to them being enhanced. They turned out good, but were a little "hammy" for my personal taste. However, of the 10+ people eating them, I got a lot of compliments and even a couple went as far as to say it was the best pork I had ever cooked for them. Although I didn't necessarily agree with them, everyone has their own taste preferences and these butts seemed to check all the boxes for everyone eating them, so take that for what it's worth.

On a side note, I definitely wouldn't inject them. I believe that would just be over the top considering they are already enhanced.

How do people feel about the Smithfield Extra Tender pork butts from Walmart? The price is right and if I can save a step by not having to inject sounds appealing.

I've been running them all year. Two firsts, a second and 2 thirds including a 180.

I still put a little kosmos in them, but go easy.

Will be throwing 2 racks on the UDS in about 40min. Package weights were 4.1 and 4.8lbs, and both are easily nicer than any I have purchased from Costco in the past. Meaty, well marbled, straight bones - what more to ask for.

If it wasn't for Big Poppa and Smithfield working together to provide the meats at the Guinea Pig this year, it is very likely that I would still be looking at enhanced pork and walking away in disgust.

Now I am a believer in both their quality and value!

Today they are rolling with BPS Little Louie's and SM Spicy Apple on the bone side, with more Little Louie's and Bigmista's Perfect Pork on the top. Gonna be a tasty dinner!!

I cooked 2 racks the other day, (for the 1st time) and they came across a little "hammy" as well! I loved the size, straight bones, and meat, but that was my only beef with them!

I got another first in pork with them this weekend and 2nd with the ribs. On the hammy comments (which I don't taste at all) the injection they use is not a curing salt at all...

I got another first in pork with them this weekend and 2nd with the ribs. On the hammy comments (which I don't taste at all) the injection they use is not a curing salt at all...

Sterling, how do I find out if the butts are available in my area (Savannah, GA)?

:clap:

So I see this 'secret' is going well...

Lol. It doesn't take much noodling to figure out my recipe! At least they don't know exactly which Big Poppa/Simply Marvelous rubs I use or which flavor of Blues Hog I'm dunking it in!

It looks like you finally paid attention. Nice pork win this weekend!

So if I know my Smithfield product right, they grade out the pork
DURoC- top 2%
Prime- Top 20%

I would assume the stuff that gets turned into "Extra Tender" and the unlabeled Sam's club product do not fall in the "Prime or higher" category.

Id supposed the enhanced ribs really shine when used with the H&F cookers. widen the window of getting a tender product.

The pork doesn't get graded the same way beef does.

With Smithfield DURoC, Prime, and Extra Tender are are separate products that come from different Hogs.

• DURoC is a food service only, special order product.
  • Prime is 100% Duroc sired and is available in both retail and food service. On average you will see more marbling and a higher PH level than in the extra tender. This product is not enhanced. Distribution on Prime isn't as prevalent as Extra Tender but if you email us at info@historicbbq.com with what state you are in we can track down if it is available near you. We cook Prime ribs and butts.
  • Extra Tender is available in both retail and food service. It is enhanced product and is available nationwide at Walmart.
  • All Natural is available in both retail and food service. It is the non-enhanced version of Extra Tender.

On the enhanced vs non-enhanced debate I think it is as much about personal preference than anything. Shake N' Bake and Gettin' Basted have proved that the enhanced product can score well. We cook the Prime and it has been working for us.

Back