Question about CyberQ

segen77

Reaction score
I recently received a cyberq, and I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I would like to know if it's possible to assign a specific port to it instead of port 80? I don't want to setup port forwarding on port 80. I would like to assign it something in the 4,000's range (like I did with my video surveillance system) so that you have to not only know that public IP, but the specific port as well in order to access it. Please let me know if something like this is possible with the unit.

Thank you

Yes, it's definitely possible. What you will want to do is to set up your router so that HTTP requests to your public IP on a private port gets forwarded to the LAN IP of the CyberQ. Nothing has to be changed on the CyberQ, only your router. Just keep in mind the concept that Public IPs are like the street address for an apartment building. And ports are analogous to apartment numbers. Port forwarding will tell your router to listen to specific ports and route the requests to specific devices on your private LAN. Don't get too caught up on the default ports like 80 for HTTP, etc.

Does anyone know of a detailed, step by step set up for these? Be nice to have a lot of pictures too. I am fairly computer literate, but the one time I tried to set mine up, it didn't work. I did have someone here offer to help, but I haven't made time to try to set it up again. Be easier if there was something I could follow along to do it.

Oh, and I also know that a guide would be difficult since a lot of it is router dependent.

There's a lot of support info and video on their website and You Tube, and they're helpful over email too.

Does anyone know of a detailed, step by step set up for these? Be nice to have a lot of pictures too. I am fairly computer literate, but the one time I tried to set mine up, it didn't work. I did have someone here offer to help, but I haven't made time to try to set it up again. Be easier if there was something I could follow along to do it.

Oh, and I also know that a guide would be difficult since a lot of it is router dependent.

As you said, it is router specific, but here is one that I did for AT&T uVerse a while back.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2705924&postcount=3

Thanks for the replies. I hope to give it a shot this weekend, but it may be next week before I can get around to it. Work is just crazy busy right now...

Back