Advice Please! Reheating pork butt

stevevanegeren

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello all, I need some advice please! I am a small caterer and all of my events to date have been cooks where the meat is served immediately after the rest. This weekend, I had an event already scheduled for sat, but another client wants me to smoke the meat on Friday and they will re-heat it late Sat afternoon to serve Sat evening. What is the best way to preserve the quality from Friday to sat with cooling and reheating? i.e., leave whole or pull while reheating?? heat in a nesco?? add au jus?? temps for reheating?? etc. Thanks so much for your help!

Steve
As a catering company, we have to do this ourselves at time. We pull the pork while it is still fresh and warm. We pack it in air tight containers and put in the fridge. Prior to service we put the pulled pork in a large pot with some liquid (Juice, water or Vinegar) in the bottom to help re-hydrate it and cook it on a low heat, mixing it often. When at about 150 degrees we move to hot holding or in the steam table. It always comes out good and fresh.

I agree with Highonthehog regarding technique.

The only issue I would have with this arrangement is that "you" are not reheating and serving. You could stand to be blamed for quality issues, as well as legal issues if something goes wrong and people get sick, due to improper heating temps and hold temps while serving.

Another issue could arise since you are in essence selling "packaged" food and probably don't have the required USDA licensing to do so.

These issues are avoided if you are preparing and serving your own product.

These are just things to consider when you are evaluating your risk exposure.

I like to add apple juice & a little bit of extra rub during the reheat.

If they don't mind pulling it themselves, I would leave it as large chunks. They can reheat it covered in foil in the oven until it is 160*F. How many pounds are they picking up?

Thanks for the advice guys! Pyle's BBQ - I am delivering about 45 lbs cooked weight and Bizznessman, thanks for the food for thought! They are going to take responsibility for the reheat. I was just looking for advice on technique to pass along to them. I will share what I have learned from you all! Thanks again :)

Thanks for the advice guys! Pyle's BBQ - I am delivering about 45 lbs cooked weight and Bizznessman, thanks for the food for thought! They are going to take responsibility for the reheat. I was just looking for advice on technique to pass along to them. I will share what I have learned from you all! Thanks again :)

Get that in writing for legal/insurance purposes. :mrgreen:

im not a caterer but in the past the best way I found was to pull meat vacuum seal in bags with some of the cooking juices refrigerate to reheat I use a turkey fryer and stick bags of pulled meat in boiling water comes out like it just came out of the smoker

Back