Brisket, on the bone (pr0n)

buccaneer

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Torture time!
I grabbed another premium Angus brisket on the bone.
Simple slather of mustard and Bovine Bold Rub and smoked it over hickory at 220f for a few hours, then 250f for a few, and crept up to 280f for another four hours.

IMG_3101_zps18414c49.jpg

Shut her down when it was probe tender.
I used a thermometer just because it is a new toy I wanted to test.
It worked perfectly.

IMG_3103_zps37fdb8f4.jpg

Rendered a lot of tallow, and when I moved it the bottom bone fell out, the rest pulled easy.

IMG_3102_zpsbcace691.jpg

A cold slice pic!
IMG_0832_zpscaed0faa.jpg

IMG_0830_zps72aa45e3.jpg

I made a liquid gravy with the drippings adding red wine and spices.
Bagged some blocks with the gravy into the freezer, and the brisket was cut with a spoon tender.
Best so far.
I am absolutely sold on the brisket on the bone as my best option.
Thanks Breth!

:yo:

Last edited:
Remember "cooking nails" for baked potatoes? Helped them cook from inside out while heating from outside in. Maybe the bone is doing the nails job?? That may be way off. Also the bone makes a great moisture barrier (dam).

Again it's late, but makes sense that the bone is going to do nothing but great things

So nice of you to convert to Fahrenheit for us! :wink:

Looks awesome, buccs!

Remember "cooking nails" for baked potatoes? Helped them cook from inside out while heating from outside in. Maybe the bone is doing the nails job?? That may be way off. Also the bone makes a great moisture barrier (dam).

Again it's late, but makes sense that the bone is going to do nothing but great things

These are the things I considered after my first on the bone brisket, but only after the second one could I be sure it wasn't just a single marvelous bit of beef.
A most obvious factor is all the collagen that is around the cartilage area and the bone, that is trimmed away for brisket without the bone.

I believe that any piece of meat benefits from being cooked with bone-in. Thermapens ROCK !! Your brisket looks awesome!!

Great lookin briskey! Wish I could find that cut, love to try it... Guess I'll have to come for a visit...

Back